Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:54 am 

Does anyone have books on Charcuterie they can suggest. I've Ruhlman and Polcyn (Charcuterie) and the CIA's Garde Manger, but am looking for other texts.

I also have Jane Grigson, but that is an old book and I'm a little nervous about trying some things, even if the USDA says you may safely can sausage.

Even books with only a few recipes can be good and I'm not talkiing just sausage, but pates and dry-cure as well.

Post subject: Re: Looking for.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:11 am 

Dude...you're going hardcore here. Charcuterie?

I too have Garde Manger but have never tried any "real" charcuterie other than making sausage from Aidel's books.

...lou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:11 pm 

Warner,

I used Professional Charcuterie: Sausage Making, Curing, Terrines, and Pâtés in culinary school. I've never gotten around to buying it, but I keep meaning to.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:34 pm 

NT:

Before we found Ruhlman's book we bought Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing (link) by Rytek Kutas (ISBN 0025668609). Based on the photos in the book and the commentary on Amazon I think this book may somehow be connected to the sausagemaker.com website of which I think you are aware. Anyway it is a good beginners-to-advanced reference to meat curing and sausage making. As beginners we were a little intimidated since the recipes are scaled for making either 10 or 25 pounds of sausage (the corned beef recipe is scaled for either 25 or 100 pounds) but perhaps you would not have this issue.

Let me know if you want more information on this book, such as a recipe or two or if you'd like to borrow it.

We also have The Sausage Making Cookbook by Jerry Predika (ISBN 0811716937). It mostly contains fresh sausage recipes but there are about 25 pages of dry sausage recipes as well as some jerky recipes.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm 

This got posted on his blog today: http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/2009/04/13/my-charcuterie-library/

He is also in the running for a James Beard Award.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:06 pm 

ntsc - on the canning of sausage - we used to do it all the time at home. I never much cared for the texture or taste of the particular sausages we used, but we never got sick from it, and we canned some every year. I don't see any problem with pressure canning sausage, but I think the texture might get a little rubbery.

I haven't had time to read your blog in ages - I need to catch up next week when my boss is on vacation!