Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ethiopian cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:03 am 

I tried it in the beginning but decided I wouldn't use it enough to be a worthwhile purchase. I'm an easy mark so normally I'd have gone for it; now I'm glad I didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:54 am 

Regarding EYB, you can index your own books. It's not difficult, but if your cookbook is very large it can take a bit of time. You can also request a book to be indexed - once enough people have requested it, it will be put in the queue.

I use EYB all the time, because a lot of the blogs I frequent are indexed on the site as well as my cookbooks. I also use it for inspiration even if I don't have the cookbook - quite frequently you can find the recipe online with a bit of Google-fu.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:23 pm 

Reviving an old thread, but I finally bought some teff flour and started the process to try making injera. The first rise (sourdough starter + teff + water) is fermenting now. My big concern is how to cook it without a mitad. I am going to try a 12" skillet and see how it goes. I am also making rice in case it is a disaster. ;)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:19 pm 

We had our Ethiopia feast tonight and everything turned out well! I didn't love the recipes in the book (understatement), but now that I have an idea, I can modify them to be more like the restaurant recipes we like.

The injera was pretty good. It was a wee bit thick, so I will make it thinner next time. I did it on an electric skillet, which isn't ideal because the center undercooked. I ended up filling the center, giving it 10 seconds and then adding the rest of the batter. An actual mitad would be easier but it is another thing to store.

Even cutting recipes in half, it made a mountain of food, so I will be trying again to make injera with the leftovers later in the week. I want to get this perfected. It is 3.5 hours to an Ethiopian restaurant, and so many of my friends haven't had it.

--Lisa

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 pm 

Lisa, I'd bought teff to make injera a while back, but never got around to it and ended throwing it away. I just got more teff to make some of the chocolate recipes in Flavor Flours. I would love to make injera as well. Which recipe did you use? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 am 

Hi Alina,

Read this blog - she gives fanatastic directions and had a video for each step:
http://burakaeyae.blogspot.com/2007/02/ ... -real.html

I actually preferred this guy's video because it was edited into one piece, but he uses additional barley flour which I didn't use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEa7yfeyDQ

I used:
Step one:
1 c sourdough starter (I did not convert my starter to a teff starter)
1 c teff flour
Water

Step two:
Results of step one
1 1/c c self rising flour
water

I cooked them in a cheap square sunbeam electric skillet and got five large injera, plenty for the two of us to eat with dinner and look pretty under the platter.

To cook, I salted the pan, and poured a small amount of batter into the center (which is pretty cold in my skillet), gave it 10 or 15 seconds, and then poured the rest of the batter around the outside and picked up the pan as show to make it run and cover the pan. Cooked for 20 or 30 seconds, added the lid, cooked for 1 min to 90 seconds, and then removed the lid, checked for loose edges and then turned the entire pan over and dumped out the injera on to tablecloth to cool.

My last couple stuck and had to be loosened with a spatula before dumping. Next time I will wipe out the pan with a damp paper towel in between before resalting. The first one and the last one were ugly but the rest were prefect.

Good luck!

--Lisa