Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bouchon Bakery
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 am 

beccaporter wrote:
Where is the errata?

This is what someone posted in an Amazon comment. There is nothing on the publisher's (or restaurant's) website, which seems odd. (And FYI, a few of the other comments mention errors that aren't in this list.)

Artisan tell me that the following corrections have been made:

1. In Blueberry Muffins, page 76, ", at room temperature" has been added following "Unsalted butter" in the ingredients list (and in the second paragraph under "To Bake the Muffins," "about 140 grams" has been changed to "about 135 grams").

2. In Pumpkin Muffins, page 86, "1 cup + 2 teaspoons" granulated sugar in the ingredients list has been changed to "1 cup + 2 tablespoons."

3. In Decorated Pumpkin Muffins, page 87, the following copy has been added directly after "To Complete" in the right-hand column:

Fill the muffins as directed for Pumpkin Muffins (opposite), using 35 grams/2½ tablespoons of the frosting for each muffin; do not pipe rosettes on the top. Using a small offset spatula, spread a thin layer of the remaining frosting on the top and sides of each muffin.

The subsequent copy, "Dust the work surface lightly . . . ," now begins a new paragraph.

4. In Doughnuts, page 196, "5 grams" unsalted butter in the ingredients list has been changed to "55 grams."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
Emilie, when you used the scoop, did you just drop them on the sheet or did you roll in your hands per the original recipe?

Alina, I rolled into balls by hand after I scooped. I always do that when I'm freezing cookie balls, which I did with some in this case. Of course that creates the temptation to bake a few every day ;)

Emilie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:29 pm 

Emilie and Alina, thanks for your input. Guess I'll spend an afternoon at Barnes & Noble and look over a few baking books. Maybe that will help me make up my mind. Truth is I don't really need another cookbook of any kind.

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 pm 

So I made the oatmeal cookies. They are good but not any better than Kate Zuckerman's imho. Those are simpler to make. Mine did not flatten much. I used a #24 scoop and baked 10 to a cookie sheet at 325 convection bake for 15 minutes. I weighed all my ingredients and used the weighed amounts. I also measured them as well. With the flour, the weight was more than the volume, however with the oats, it was less by about 1/4 of a cup. I even weighed the vanilla paste, eggs, soda and salt. I put the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes then formed balls and put them back in the fridge. Took them out today and had them out for about 20-30 minutes before baking. So why were they not flat as everyone says? I prefer flatter cookies so I was looking forward to these. I have the rest of the batch in the fridge, these are smaller, used a #40 disher, leveled, then rolled into balls. Should I flatten the balls? Thanks.

I am posting the recipe I got online just in case the numbers are not right.

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES TK

First straining whisked eggs before weighing them for a more accurate measure. If a high-quality mixture is not available, use half dark and half golden raisins. If the raisins are not plump, pour hot water over them and let them sit for about 30 minutes before making the cookies, then drain and pat thoroughly dry.
For the original super large cookies, you’ll need a #10 (2½") disher, #20 for medium and for the small a #30. Cookies baked in a convection oven will have a more even color and will not spread as much as those baked in a standard oven. The cookies are best the day they are baked, but they can be stored in a covered container for up to 3 days.

Oven Temperature: 325°F convection bake

Preparation Time: 29 minutes Cooking Time: 16 minutes Inactive Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes

144 g. all-purpose flour (1 cup +1 tsp.)
7.7 g. ground cinnamon (1 TBS,)
7.4 g. baking soda (1½ tsps.)
3.6 g. kosher salt (1¼ tsps.)
69 g. light brown sugar (½ cup + 3½ TBS.)
69 g. granulated sugar (¼ cup + 1½ TBS..)
155 g. unsalted butter, at room temperature (11 TBS.)
62 g. eggs ( ¼ cup)
7.7 g. vanilla paste (1¼ tsps.) or 1 TBS. vanilla extract
155 g. old-fashioned oats (2 cups)
78 g. raisins (½ cup)
78 g. golden raisins (½ cup.)

Place the flour in a medium bowl. Sift in the cinnamon and baking soda, add the salt, and whisk together. Whisk together the sugars in a small bowl, breaking up any lumps.

Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn to medium-low speed and cream the butter, warming the bowl if needed, until it is the consistency of mayonnaise and holds a peak when the paddle is lifted. Add the sugars and mix for 3 to 4 minutes, until fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

Add the eggs and vanilla paste and mix on low speed for 15 to 30 seconds, until just combined. Scrape down the bowl again. The mixture may look broken, but that is fine (over-whipping the eggs could cause the cookies to expand too much during baking and then deflate).

Add the combined dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing on low speed for 15 to 30 seconds after each, until just combined. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to incorporate any dry ingredients that have settled there. Add the oats and pulse on low about 10 times to combine. Pulse in the raisins. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.

Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to Convection 325°F ( same for standard). Line two sheet pans with Silpats or parchment paper.

Using a a #30 disher, scoop 28 g. each onto cookie sheets. Original said to divide the dough into 6 equal portions 145g. each (12 #20 for medium, 72 g. for medium). Roll each one into a ball between the palms of your hands. (The dough can be shaped in advance.) Bring the dough to room temperature before baking. Bake for to 13-14 minutes for the #20 ones in a convection oven.

For the larger ones, 16 minutes in a convection oven, 18 to 20 minutes in a standard oven. For the original very large; bake only 3 on each pan. With a short end of the pan toward you, place one cookie in the upper left corner, one in the lower left corner, and the third one in the center, toward the right side of the pan. Bake the cookies until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes in a convection oven, 21 to 23 minutes in a standard oven, reversing the positions of the pans halfway through baking.

Set the pans on a cooling rack and cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.

The cookies are best the day they are baked, but they can be stored in a covered container for up to 3 days.

Recipe Type: Cookaholics Forum, Cookies, Desserts, Oats, Thomas Keller

Author: Thomas Keller & Sebastien Rouxel
Source: Bouchon Bakery
Web Page: http://www.styleblueprint.com/food-and- ... as-keller/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:58 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
Mine did not flatten much. I used a #24 scoop and baked 10 to a cookie sheet at 325 convection bake for 15 minutes......... So why were they not flat as everyone says? I prefer flatter cookies so I was looking forward to these.........

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES TK

".......Cookies baked in a convection oven will have a more even color and will not spread as much as those baked in a standard oven........"

Alina, I think you answered your own question. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 pm 

Hmmm. I made them in a convection oven and they were flat. I did use Keller's gluten free flour (for my niece) and wonder if that made a difference in the height. I measured rather than weighed the flour, because I did not know how the weight might differ (It is called cup 4 cup after all :D ). Very tasty.
I also made Ina's Jambalaya (ironically from Foolproof) and had some difficulty with her reported length of cooking time. Rice was still firm and chicken underdone, so I had to cook at a higher heat for longer. Otherwise really good.

Nancy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 pm 

Alina, they look right from what I remember but will double check the book tomorrow if no one else has replied. I'm now googling Kate Zuckerman's recipe. ;-)
Edit to add I googled it and found your post on the CAH forum, lol!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 pm 

I just Googled it myself and saw the coconut flour bit. I'd forgotten, but have the butter and eggs out to make the choco chip ones. I think I will try the coconut flour sub in that one this time. If you make either one, please let me know how you like it. BTW, Ina's Double Chocolate Almond cookies were excellent and kept well for a long time.

PS, sorry for the hijack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 am 

I'm making the madeleines tomorrow. We really like these with coffee. Little surprise for lunch.

fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:00 am 

Those fixes are already in my addition, thank goodness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next