Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maximum Flavor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:10 am 

Aki Kamozawa and Alex Talbot, authors of Ideas in Food have a new cookbook out. I like their first book and their blog so much, I pre-ordered this book, and it came yesterday.

When I get a new cookbook I randomly open it, and if the recipe is even remotely interesting to me, it's the first thing I make from the book. Well, with Maximum Flavor I opened up to french fries. I was a little bummed, because I have a lot of different ways to make fries. But then, I started reading through the recipe and I became intrigued. Their technique uses a pressure cooker for the first cook. From the blurb above the recipe:

"It seems that everyone chases the perfect french fry. Our technique is to soak them in salted water and then steam them in the pressure cooker to hydrate the starches and gelatinize them before a final frying round. This produces perfectly cooked potatoes encased in a thin, crisp out shell. A sprinkling of salt is all you really need to finish them off."

There's a significant resting period between the PC step and the final fry, so I decided I'd try them tonight. I'll let you know how they come out.

This is an interesting book. There are a lot of very familiar dishes presented and some that are more unique. There's not a strong emphasis on modernist techniques or ingredients, but you can definitely see the influence. You can also see Aki's Japanese heritage shining through in the ingredients list for some recipes. For example the recipe for New England Baked Beans with Pork Belly includes kombu, tamari soy sauce and candied ginger.

A very interesting and approachable book. I look forward to trying their takes on classics, and discovering some new ideas as well.

Amy