Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bouchon Bakery Cookbook?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 am 

Emilie wrote:
Jean, I'd love to get that filling recipe if it's not any trouble to find it. The SK one that's my favorite to this point is butter/shortening/powdered sugar and vanilla. So it would be interesting to see how the Canadian Living version compares. ...

I'ts in a magaizine that I can't quite get my hands on right now, must be buried in my Christmas pile to file back in my office, but here it is on the blog that inspired me to try it to begin with.
http://canadianbaker.blogspot.ca/2005/1 ... iches.html
Oddly enough right after seeing it here I also saw it in another baking book but with the addition of a pinch of salt. (might have been a Dorie book) so I add that now too. It's a very simple and sweet filling and to me pretty much in line with an oreo but without that icky oily aftertaste from some shortening versions.
The cookie in the recipe is really good too, a bit firmer and thinner than a whoopie pie but along those lines.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm 

Thanks Jean. I'll check out that blog. I always need one more to add to the list I follow. Otherwise I might actually get everything done I should when I sit down at my computer to work :D.

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

Thanks, Meryl! I'll have to try this one.
And Emilie, As I recall you have the Flour cookbook. Did you not like the filling to her cookies?
Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 am 

Good memory, Nancy. (Unlike me, since I'd forgotten all about that one.) Something tells me that filling wasn't my favorite, though. I really need to do a better job of making notes about recipes I've tried and how they compare to others that are similar and what I like or don't like. That's on my priority list along with organizing my foot-tall (seriously) stack of recipes I've printed out or torn from magazines. My family thinks I'm nuts for trying many different recipes for the same cake, pie, etc. I tell them they can stop eating my food anytime they want. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 pm 

Glad I'm not the only one Emilie :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:27 pm 

Today I made the basic Batard from the book (well, started the Poolish last night). I've never made a Batard shape before, so it was an adventure. The outcome:

Attachment:
Batard-1.jpg

Not perfectly shaped, but passable. The taste was excellent. My wife is eastern european and a bread connoisseur (not to mention deli), and she approved, strongly. I used (more or less) their 'steam oven' set-up, which consists of 10lbs of river rocks and 10' of chain, and you use a super soaker to wet it down. I could only get a very sad version of a super soaker, and had to use ceramic BBQ briquettes instead of river rocks, but I still think it added something to the crust. My wife had no idea as to the lengths I went, and she volunteered that the crust was very good. The setup:

Attachment:
Batard-2.jpg

We'll be making this again. Now, next weekend hopefully one of the levain based recipes!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:42 pm 

What does the chain do?

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm 

It looks delicious, if a little like a giant fried pickle spear.

Fitzie -- the chain makes it more macho and it has better heat retention than chest hair.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 pm 

I just found this site while following this thread and thought maybe this would be a good place to post it. It has a complete listing of all the Keller recipes from Ad Hoc at Home and others. Comprehensive Links to Keller Recipes

See other thread for follow-up on Oreos.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm 

FYI, here is the recipe for Joanne Chang's oreos and filling. http://www.bakerella.com/homemade-oreos/

Emilie, I remember talking about the doughnut recipe with you ages ago.I finally tried it this past December. Unfortunately I forgot your warnings about oiling the plastic wrap over the rising dough and had trouble peeling it off, resulting in somewhat deflated dough. :o I made doughnut holes which tasted really good, but I am determined to master this recipe!

Paul, that bread looks wonderful!