Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I didn't really NEED another bread book...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm 

...but for $7.99 (with my points), I couldn't pass up a $45 book - Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, by Jeffrey Hamelman, from KAF. The recipes are listed for a large amount, for bakers (or us, anytime we want to make 35 lbs or more of dough! LOL), a reasonable amount for you and me, and baker's percentages, so you can easily make more or less of it. You could use it w/o a scale, but it would be best to have one. Great amount of interesting scientific information in this book; though the wording is definitely geared to the professional, the discussions of the different starches, and how the different organisms digest them, and how some are complimentary, is very interesting, and explains a lot of things we see when baking bread. The sourdough rye chapter in especially interesting, giving the reasons that undermixing or underkneading rye bread will actually result in a higher loaf (something Reinhart mentions in one book, but just in passing, saying not to knead it more than 6 min). I made my first sourdough bread tonight from it, and it smells incredibly good, but I'll have to wait until the morning to try it.

Post subject: Re: I didn't really NEED another bread book...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm 

I used this book down on the Ice. The bagels are great. I'm sure I liked other recipes as well, but can't remember them right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am 

The recipe I tried - Vermont Sourdough -was good, but not very tangy. I may have to try some of the recipes, but use the techniques and temperatures from Classic Sourdoughs, to see if they work out better, now that I have that bread proofer, which worked very well with the few recipes I made from that book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 am 

Bread proofer?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 am 

BeckyH wrote:
Bread proofer?

Something from King Arthur Flour that seemed like something nobody really needs, but when I saw this homemade version of it in Classic Sourdoughs and was considering making it, I made this the only thing on my wish list last Christmas. I have used it 4 times, and have gotten some delicious, tangy bread each time, more sour than most I have tried, but not too sour. I'll have to tweak the times and temps to get it just right. Check the sample recipes from Classic Sourdoughs Website to see what I mean about the times and temps. While they are obviously pushing their products, as they noted in the book, any culture can be used, even a homemade one, which they give their method for in the book. I ordered some cultures from them way back when I first got the book - the SF culture, and the NZ cultures, mainly because one of the two is a rye sourdough. I'll have to start that one, now that I have the proofer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am 

I use a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb on a rheostat as a bread proofer. I got the instructions from a Nitty Gritty book on bread machine sourdoughs that was co-written by Ed Wood. I would love to make something closer to the KA one, though. Is the one in Classic Sourdoughs collapsible? This does remind me that I have to see if I can nurse my starter back to life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 am 

I've found that my microwave makes a perfect bread proofer. It's one of the over-the-stove ones (grrrrr...but I don't have funds to remodel yet)...so it has those nice warm halogen lights underneath. I boil a cup of water in the microwave, push it over to one side, turn on the lights, and have a wonderful, generously sized proofing box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am 

Darcie wrote:
I've found that my microwave makes a perfect bread proofer. It's one of the over-the-stove ones (grrrrr...but I don't have funds to remodel yet)...so it has those nice warm halogen lights underneath. I boil a cup of water in the microwave, push it over to one side, turn on the lights, and have a wonderful, generously sized proofing box.

Moving to a warmer climate would help... :mrgreen:

I get to go to Madison tomorrow....brrrrrrrrrrrr. Might go to the farmers market and get a case of snowballs... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 pm 

They microwave really well :!: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm 

You should know...I saw yesterday on the weather that it was -2F in Regina...you live there why?