Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Weeknight Cooking Cookbook!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Rose,

Let me put in a strong vote for the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook, which is chock full of simple but interesting meals. Assuming that's not too feminine for him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 am 

I really like the Cuisine@Home weeknight cooking bookazines.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:32 am 

Jean,

Me too. Most of us of a certain age in anglophone Canada grew up eating these recipes (and the ones from Chatelaine magazine), so there's a nostalgic quality to the recipes on top of their being plain old good food.

I have rarely had a Canadian Living recipe that I didn't like. One of my faves from the blue book is the stuffed pork tenderloin - you butterfly 3 pork tenderloins, layer them with an apple thyme bread stuffing, tie the lot up so it looks like a log, brush it with mustard and roast it. Very yummy, and although it looks impressive, it's super easy. Delicious with steamed green beans, a salad, and some form of potato (roasted potatoes are nice with it, but mashed are good too). You can prep it in advance too, so it's perfect entertaining food.

I don't think I've tried the onion gravy...I'll have to look it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm 

cmd2012 wrote:
.... One of my faves from the blue book is the stuffed pork tenderloin - you butterfly 3 pork tenderloins, layer them with an apple thyme bread stuffing, tie the lot up so it looks like a log, brush it with mustard and roast it. Very yummy, and although it looks impressive, it's super easy. Delicious with steamed green beans, a salad, and some form of potato (roasted potatoes are nice with it, but mashed are good too). You can prep it in advance too, so it's perfect entertaining food.

Carey, is this the one with mushrooms too? And if yes, do you see an issue with me leaving them out? I have an issue with 'shrooms.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm 

Jean,

That's the one. I think you could probably leave them out if you doubled the other stuffing ingredients (just to make sure you had enough stuffing), or you could sub in your favourite bread stuffing recipe instead. The stuffing as written ends up tasting like a pretty standard bread stuffing with a bit of apple in it, so it wouldn't change things that much.

I skip the pan seared onions/apples on top too. I did them the first time and we didn't think they added enough to be worth the extra step. I had forgotten about them until I looked at the recipe again. The stuffed triple layer roast is impressive and tasty enough on its own. I cook it to 145 and let it rest, and it comes out perfect and moist every time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 am 

Not a paper cookbook, but this was a free app for Apple's 12 Days of Christmas giveaway. http://www.thephotocookbook.com/
My daughter was very excited about it because each step is broken down with photos. It has the capability of adding notes to each recipe. There are not tons of recipes but the ones I looked at seemed pretty good. My daughter and I made stew with tomatoes, chorizo and chickpeas that was tasty and fast (we both agreed it would be good without the chorizo too). There is also a link from each pictured ingredient to a description of that ingredient. Just looked to see how much it cost and it is free, mighty generous of Apple. In that case, it is definitely worth downloading, especially if you have less experienced cooks.

Mary