Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weeknight Cooking Cookbook!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am 

Hey all! Haven't been around in a LONG while. Hope all is well here. I posted a cookbook question on facebook today and Amy reminded me that I haven't popped in in a long while.

Looking for a gift for my husband - a cookbook or weeknight cooking. He does most of the cooking M-F for me and the two kids (4 and 2). He isn't the most skilled cook, but he does his best and he's learning. He often feels at a loss for ideas. I wondered if you guys had ideas for a book that might inspire him. Nothing too exotic - just quick, but interesting meals he can make during the week - things the kids would also like. He loves crock pot cooking, so if it has some of those recipes, that's great too!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Weeknight Cooking Cookbook!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:38 am 

Best of Bridge has a slow cooker cookbook out. Lots of easy but interesting dishes, including some for entertaining. They are a popular cookbook author in Canada (started as a bunch of women who hosted Bridge games in Alberta I think, who put together their favourite recipes and grew from there.

Canadian Living also has a slow cooker cookbook. Lots of healthy, tasty everyday meals in it as well (and easy too). Both are on Amazon I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:01 pm 

Rose, I can't say enough good things about Canadian Living recipes. They are generally bullet proof with accessible ingredients and kid friendly.
I like the "Make it Tonight" books which are split into prep times, so a chapter for under 10 minutes, under 20 minutes, etc. The 2011 version is an updated version of the one I have but it's missing our favourite salmon recipe. :-(

Here's an older book of theirs that you might want to pick up used since it's such a good deal. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

I get their weekly emails - they send an email out on friday, with a suggestion for each day of the week. A great way to plan for the week ahead.

Carey, I have a BofB book and have never used it. thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 pm 

Check out Jamie Oliver. Ministry of food or 30 Minute Meals are both good for basics. Donna Hay has fast simple meals. She is kind of Australia's answer to Martha Stewert. I think of all of those, I would look at the 30 Minute Meal as it gives you a plan on how to make an entire meal. I watched some of the tv show and the food looked fantastic. Of course it was on just before dinner.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 pm 

A friend swears by Rachael Ray's books for fast cooking. I don't have any, but I have read them over there (I can't help myself - if a cookbok is in sight, I have to pick it up. :mrgreen:), the recipes look good, and I have had a number of them that were very good. I didn't see a bunch of exotic ingredients (fresh herbs maybe the most, but they're everywhere now) in the recipes I looked at (my friend just comes over to my kitchen for those things!), and, though it does involve multitasking to make the 30 min. deadline, nobody will be timing him!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 pm 

I second Jaimie Olivier's 30 minute meals. Some of these recipes are on line if you'd like to check them out

fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:12 pm 

What about a subscription to CC? The recipes are mostly quite accessible, they have lots of "30-minute suppers" and, they always have a slow-cooker recipe in each issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:51 pm 

Get him a subscription to Everyday Food.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:04 pm 

The Canadian Living cooks Step by Step is a really good book. Many of my favourite recipes are in there (mushroom manicotti, lasagna, roasted red pepper lasagna, butter tarts, pot roast, spaghetti).

This one is a good one too:http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Canadian-Living-Cookbook/dp/0679312897/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356044233&sr=8-2&keywords=Canadian+living. Lots of easy, fool-proof recipes for weeknight dinners with nutritional analysis included.

The Jamie Oliver ones are good too...I have 30 minute meals, Cook with Jamie, and Food Revolution. Of them, Food Revolution is the most user friendly for new cooks IMO. 30 minute meals is great, but the instructions are not that clear for new cooks, especially if you don't want to make the full menu.

Best of Bridge I forget about all the time until I'm at a potluck. Inevitably the recipe I like the most is from there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm 

Carey/Felicita- that Canadian Living book is my absolute most used book. Hands down. I've never had a bad recipe from it. The pork stew with oranges and prosciutto is amazing. The btownies, the quiche, the biscotti, the onion gravy....love that book.