Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charles Phan / Wok Ring
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Had a lovely coincidence of timing today. First, at my in-laws I made a new wok ring so that we could use the small wok on the new stove (we needed a taller one). Second, Charles Phan's Vietnamese Home Cooking came in at the library (I've had a hold on it). Third, my next-door neighbor forgot to cancel her Capay Organic produce box before she left town, and it included 2 lbs of bok choy.

So, Vietnamese stir-fry it is!

First, the new wok ring:

Here it is with a wok on top:

My FIL and I made it out of scrap 3/16" steel rod; I bent and cut it, and he welded it. We had a lot of trouble because we couldn't remember how we made the first one (in fact, he couldn't remember that we had made the first one). I'd do it differently if I did another one, and don't ask me to make you one -- it took over 7 hours. However, it works beautifully; supports the wok firmly while giving plenty of air to the flame.

Now, onto Charles Phan. Despite his serial restaurantiership, the cookbook is surprisingly true to its title: this really is all about Vietnamese food anyone could make at home. The recipes are simple and straightforwards, and odd techniques and ingredients are explained in detail elsewhere in the book. There are lots of pictures, in that full-bleed full-color matte style I've come to associate with Phaidon. Many of the pictures are artistic, but many others make it very clear how do make things, and the Vietnamese glossary includes pictures of almost all ingredients.

The two recipes I made (bok choy with baby shitakes, and mix-and-match-noodles) seemed very lightly seasoned in comparison to Thai food I'm used to. But I stuck with the instructions, and darned if the end results weren't beautifully balanced and subtle. Here's the noodles, cooking:

The cookbook is split up by cooking technique: Soup/Steaming/Braising/Stir-Frying/Grilling/Frying. Overall, I'd recommend it strongly for anyone interested in Vietnamese food. I'd even recommend it as a first/only Vietnamese cookbook for anyone who has used a wok before. I'm considering buying it, provided that enough recipes escape both my and DW's food preferences.

Post subject: Re: Charles Phan / Wok Ring
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:45 am 

Thanks for the recommendation. I've always loved The Slanted Door, so I'll check it out.

Nice wok ring!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:20 am 

Our library has a copy of this, but it's currently checked out. (I'm next in line to get it.) I remember the first time I ate there I had the shaking beef, and instantly fell in love.

It's one of his few recipes he's published before (although you'll find various versions of it on the web), and I made it for dinner. Just as good as I remembered it. Andy's still drooling.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Thanks. I've always found the wok rings they sell with woks for American stoves to be quite useless. They don't fit right, and they don't allow enough air in for the flame, so it doesn't get hot enough. The Chinese, of course, don't use them because they have wok burners.

Not that I haven't been tempted to buy a wok burner and install it in my kitchen. However, I live in a wooden house.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 pm 

Thankfully, my range has a wok burner...couldn't live without it at this point.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:18 pm 

Fuzzy - I suppose that's why people who live in stone houses don't have terns........

Sorry, - a very, very old one, I know :lol: :o :roll: