Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tacos, Tortas, and Tamales: new book by Roberto Santibañez
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:17 pm 

Just received it yesterday, and it looks really good! I'll definitely be making some soon. The Pecan Chipotle Salsa I will make tomorrow (actually, today, maybe along with other things, too), as I have to try that - looks more like a paste, which he says to spread on tortas, as well as other things. Definitely looks as good as his first book.

Post subject: Re: Tacos, Tortas, and Tamales: new book by Roberto Santibañ
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:31 am 

That's great to hear Dave! I asked my local library to order it, and since I have pull there, they are. I assume I'll be buying it, but always nice to check it out first.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 pm 

Back, with all the things I've tried from it, so far.
P. 16 Tacos de rajas con crema. Similar to a recipe in Bayless's Kitchen; very good, and best with the Smoky Tomato Salsa, p 130, which gave it a multilayered flavor, with all those chiles.
P. 18 Mushroom tacos. Made with half and half creminis and whites. I made this and used most in the Tamal de Cazuela, p 117, which turned out great. I made a few tacos, and tried them with the smoky tomato salsa, as well as the Tomatillo Chipotle salsa, and both were delicious! Mushrooms and smoked peppers seem to have an affinity for each other.
P. 26 Shrimp Tacos. Only made a half recipe of this, but will be making more! I made a quarter of a recipe of the Habanero Salsa with Cream, p. 131, which was good with this and other things, but the best salsa wth it was the Pico de Gallo with Lemon Zest, p. 127. This was absolutely delicious; though the lemon is unusual, it makes it.
P. 53 Tacos de Picadillo. Very similar to a recipe from one of Diana Kennedy's early books, and equally delicious. I used most of it in the tamal de cazuela, but still made a generous number of tacos with it. It was delicious served as suggested, with the pickled jalapeños (always have those in the fridge!), queso fresco, and avocado, but was also good with many of the salsas.

Haven't tried any of the tortas yet, though many look delicious. And the only recipe in the tamales section I made was the Tamal Cooked in a Cazuela, p. 117. I saw the banana leaves in this one, and had to try it, since I like everything Asian I have cooked in banana leaves. And I made it half with the Picadillo and half with the mushroom taco filling. Both were good - can't say I liked one more than the other, but I think the picadillo went fastest with the rest of the guests. And the Fried Chile Salsa, p. 138, seemed the most popular, though, again, the smoky salsa seemed to go best with the mushroom side.

Haven't tried any of the drinks yet (sorry!), but I did use the idea of the Mexican cinnamon in the banana smoothies, and it is delicious.

I'll keep trying things, and letting you know when I do. I really wanted to make that Pecan Chipotle Salsa, but I really didn't make anything for it to go on, so I didn't give in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

Thanks for posting those reviews. Sounds like a real winner ... I'll have to get it when it comes in here.