Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh No! Another REALLY good baking book...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 pm 

and I've already made one of the recipes out of it within 5 hours of getting it!

Baked Elements: Our 10 Favorite Ingredients, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. This one I knew I had to get, since the first book I got of theirs was so good, and it definitely turned out as good as that one. The recipe I made was actually a candy, not a baked good - a pumpkin seed brittle, which has just a hint of honey, as well as touch of cinnamon, making it one of my favorite brittles I have made to date. It looked really good, and I had some pumpkin seeds left from a Mexican dish I made before.

I like the format of the book. There are ten chapters, based on the ten favorite ingredients - chocolate, peanut butter, caramel, malted milk powder, booze, pumpkin, banana, cinnamon, cheese, and lemon/lime. There are many recipes I will HAVE to make.

Anyone else get this, and try anything out of it yet?

Post subject: Re: Oh No! Another REALLY good baking book...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 am 

Thanks for the review....I have their other two books and now you make me think I need to buy this one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm 

Another dessert to die for! Chocolate, of course - the "Easy Candy Bar Tart", p. 71 (I think?), which is relatively simple. A crust of Oreo cookies, followed by a layer of caramel, with walnuts, topped with a fudge coating (just dark chocolate, butter, and a touch of corn syrup). The caramel was slightly salted, though not as salty as the stuff in their Sweet and Salty Brownies. One person told me that now I am going to have to make both of these dishes to take to friend and family functions, as nobody will be able to choose a favorite! I always offer copies of recipes to those people swooning over things, but none of them seem interested in making them themselves. Even though I tell them they are very easy to make (a joke with my sister and me!), and now, this one has 'easy' in the name! But still, no takers. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 am 

I just picked up their second book. I am trying to bake a little out of it before I get the third. The sweet and salty brownies are fab.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:30 pm 

uh oh :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 pm 

I made another recipe from their book - the Browned Butter Snickerdoodles. I have made many cookie recipes with browned butter, and this was as good as any of them. And, since I have none left over, everyone else must have felt the same! I may try some of my oatmeal snickerdoodles with browned butter, and, since the barley flake icebox cookies turned out so well the last couple of years, I may try it with barley.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 am 

Slightly off the topic, but when I read this I thought you were talking about Matt Lewis Thorne, who's married to John Thorne, who's written some of the best food books ever. If you haven't read any of their books, and run into them, pick them up -- well worth the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

I finally ordered this today. I waited till it showed up on Buy.com with free shipping. I also ordered the KAF Cookie Book for my sister at the same time with free shipping.