Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hands Free Ipad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm 

Here is an app that will keep your IPAD clean while making a recipe. Why didn't I think of this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/27/dining/gilt-taste-an-ipad-app-for-cooks.html?_r=1

Post subject: Re: Hands Free Ipad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:40 pm 

Very interesting - thanks for posting. I might succumb to an iPad after all.

...and CI magazine has launched it's iPad app (without the ruggedized features!)

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/default.asp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the link. Here's why I am still hesitant to get a tablet/iPad:
Quote:
The device itself is only two years old, he pointed out, but many new apps already cannot function on 2010 iPads.

Ah, nothing like planned (?) obsolescence. My paper cookbooks never blackout, work every time I open them, don't rely on batteries, and I don't mind a few strategic grease stains.

Do any of the cookbook apps allow you to make notes on the recipes? I do that in my cookbooks now, to avoid repeating mistakes or to note improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm 

I am so in love with my iPad, I would marry it. I have the CI app. I like having the recipes on hand but it is one of the weaker ones. As far as greasy fingers goes, it all wipes off. Nothing I have let's you make notes. I have the MacGourmet app and that is read only, any changes have to be done on the computer.
Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

For those who find the iPad a little pricey (and their planned obsolesnce problematic), there are competing tablets which are more affordable: the Nook, the Kindle Fire, and soon Google will have one, all $200 to $250.

I can't say that Gilt Taste appeals to me much. The page-turning technology is nice, but I need something which allows me to load my recipes, not someone else's recipes, and allows me to import them from other formats (like PDF or OpenOffice). This is what all of the recipe app developers have been missing completely, IMHO: they always want to give you someone else's recipes, or they require recipe entry via a cumbersome proprietary interface.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 pm 

I wouldn't call those competing. Might get the job done, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
...and their planned obsolesnce problematic)...

I know you're not an Apple fan, but why do you say this? I personally do not agree.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,
because someone mentioned it above.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 pm 

I have a reader, but I pretty much only use it for reading books. Ipads are fun for playing Angry Birds, but I doubt that I will own one any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:12 am 

I have a PC and the new iPad. I am with Mary, I love it. I use Living Cookbook for my recipes (it lets me store my own, scan and thus save facsimiles of the originals (e.g., my mom's old cookbook pages with her notes in the margin), import directly from most websites via RecipeFox and copy and paste including images from the rest. I can add notes, rate and review (and those of others as well), track nutrition and costs per recipe and per ingredient and of course create shopping lists and inventories. For now, I export recipes via iTunes to HandyCookbook. which allows you to edit both in the iPad and PC. However, LC will have an iPad app. by the end of the year. I am looking forward to beta testing in the fall.

I cooked from my iPad when I was in Boston. It was so cool, no problems with greasy fingers, but if in doubt elbows work fine. The iPad screen is big enough that I can usually see both ingredients and procedure at once.

I am excited to get Siri in the fall, because that will allow audible reminders (e.g., time to turn the meat in the marinade) when prepping several items as well as setting multiple timers by voice.

I was at Safeway the other day, pork shoulder was on sale, and I remembered this wonderful recipe from Noble Pig. I was able to quickly find it so I could figure out how much I needed and what else I might need to make the dish. (Since I started with HandyCookbook on my iPhone, to save space, I didn't put in to try recipes.)

I have not gotten CI magazine for it though. I can easily access it with my web subscription and think the price is outrageous on top of the website price. However, I do download BA and Food and Wine because the iPad version is free with the print subscription.

I always used to carry a paperback book in my purse. Now I have the iPad in its place with books, music, my grandkids photos and videos, my meds and medical history, etc. and of course really visible GPS with audible commands as good as the best Magellan for as $1.99. And I can watch Game of Thrones on it as well.

One final thought, I had given an electronic copy of Flour to my daughter for Mother's Day last year. She loaned it to me and I was able to read it and copy several of the recipes to my LC. So you can borrow electronic cookbooks from the library and some from friends.