Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hands Free Ipad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 am 

I love my iPad. don't really use it in the kitchen though.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 am 

I'm with Amy.....I love my iPad, but haven't tried any kitchen applications. Thanks to all of you, I will look into some of the apps that will allow me to load some of my recipes. It will be nice to have them on hand when I visit friends and family and offer to make dinner.
Frankly, I don't know how I survived before I got the iPad....it has become such an integral part of my day to day life, particularly now that I am doing some consulting. I no longer need to carry a laptop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ilene,

All my consulting requires a keyboard, so I carry a 2lbs Linux netbook instead.

On the other hand, my company is writing iPad software ... for inspection of power-generating windmills, of all things. While I have little use for the iPad as a user, it is very attractive as a software development platform. We used to have to get custom-built tablet PCs for the same purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:39 pm 

I just had lunch with an old friend whose husband is a pilot. She said they are now using ipads in the cockpit (don't ask me details, I would have to answer "pilot stuff").

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 pm 

Mary,

This was in the news here a while back. You know those big black cases pilots carry? All maps, etc. now replaced electronically on the iPad.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:37 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Ilene,

All my consulting requires a keyboard, so I carry a 2lbs Linux netbook instead.

On the other hand, my company is writing iPad software ... for inspection of power-generating windmills, of all things. While I have little use for the iPad as a user, it is very attractive as a software development platform. We used to have to get custom-built tablet PCs for the same purpose.

Fuzzy
I find it very easy to type my meeting notes on the built in keyboard. Friends has suggested that I buy an external keyboard, but I really don't need it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ilene,

It really depends how you type. I'm a 120wpm touch-typist, so I don't even like the Apple-style "chiclet keyboards" (as opposed to "chick-lit keyboards", which are used to key in The Bridges of Madison County). Heck, I've been buying used netbooks instead of new ones in order to get the old 80% full-size keyboards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:37 pm 

My stepson just got his commercial helicopter pilot's license. They too use iPads in the cockpit.

BTW, an easy way to get a few recipes on the iPad is to copy them and paste them into Evernote. I do that for CI test recipes. Sabine from TOBB turned me on to Evernote way back when I got my first iPhone. I have the free version and have not used all the free space yet. Useful too for noting Model #s etc. when shopping for parts or accessories.

Josh, I am a fast touch typist as well (earned my living as such for a bit in college) and find it easy to touch type in the built-in keyboard as well. Watching me trying to type a text on the phone is hilarious according to my kids, can't thumb text at all, and to get the right key, I need to aim my fingers to the one next ot it. Reminds me of when I played softball, when if I wanted to throw to second, I'd have to aim at third, though I could place the ball at will when batting , go figure. I had considered getting the cover that comes with a keyboard, but I don't need it. The only thing I do miss is the number keyboard. I do use that all the time when working with numbers, but don't do much of that in the iPad. Quicken still has not gotten it together to work well on macs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 am 

Thanks for the tip Alina....I use Evernote for work documents.....hadn't thought about using it for recipes, but I will now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:35 am 

Good idea. I usually just email it to myself and then put it into igourmet. I do wish you could import into the app.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next