Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Pizza _ Jim Lahey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

Amy wrote:
I no longer use a stone. I use a piece of 1/4" dressed aluminum, and place it on the highest rack just below my broiler, although I'm still experimenting with this given my new range. It's the technique touted in Modernist Cuisine, and I must say every time I've tried it, it's produced a superior crust.

Amy

The method of placing near the broiler is also one that Lahey recommends. I found that I needed a floured peel to do this, although I did over-load one of my last pizza's and it was tough to get the next one on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:06 pm 

Can't I put my stone near the broiler?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:45 pm 

Good question, they generally recommend bringing a pizza stone up to temperature with the oven and not sticking it in a very hot hot oven cold. So the broiler environment might tend toward the latter, which can cause some stones to crack.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:05 pm 

IMO, of course you can. It will withstand very high temps, just stick up high in a cold oven.

Ken...don't use flour...use semolina.

Amy

Edited to add: Using the broiler technique I first get the stone hot in a 500 degree oven (about 45 minutes). I then switch it broiler and peel my pizza onto it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 pm 

I tip my hat to Amy. Sadly, Hearthkit is out of business, so that that is one more item I can quit fantasizing and/or obsessing over off the list. Amy's aluminum slab is still the gypsy moth of my dreams, a mighty high flyer, to quote an old singer.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:56 pm 

Tatoosh wrote:
Good question, they generally recommend bringing a pizza stone up to temperature with the oven and not sticking it in a very hot hot oven cold. So the broiler environment might tend toward the latter, which can cause some stones to crack.

We have a GE Cafe oven. When I did the pizza (again I am not a veteran on this one), I pre-heated the oven for 1 hour at 500. When it was time to "fire" these, I put the oven to broil.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 pm 

marygott wrote:
I've done that too and it does work well. That is not how this board works though. I mention a product and then you tell me to buy it.

Mary

I spit my tea out at that one. My bad....I forgot!

Tatoosh, I found it here: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/ ... izza-dough

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 am 

I have been using high stone placement for most of my pizzas since CI published their "Thin Crust Pizza" recipe back in January of 2011, but I highly recommend Kenji's Pizza Lab article, because high oven placement may not be correct for pizzas that need more time in the oven because crust thickness or the weight of toppings.

It is all about balance and will vary from oven to oven, pizza to pizza, and grill to grill because of the nature of heat and how it is reaching a pizza to cook it.

I am passively looking for a sheet of ¼" steel to see if I can make my grill a better pizza cooker, but I am not yet convinced that a metal plate will improve my indoor oven since I cannot run run my broiler after a 500º preheat and cooking is currently well balanced with my current stone.

The way a lot of grills are configured, it is very difficult to get sufficient reflected radiant heat to match the top cooking speed to the bottom. I am hopeful that a steel plate below and a stone stone above will even out the cooking characteristics of my grill.

ATK recently did a TV segment on New York-Style Pizza at Home that is free to watch if you have some time. The recipe is also free.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 am 

jim262 wrote:
I have been using high stone placement for most of my pizzas since CI published their "Thin Crust Pizza" recipe back in January of 2011, but I highly recommend Kenji's Pizza Lab article, because high oven placement may not be correct for pizzas that need more time in the oven because crust thickness or the weight of toppings.

That's true Jim. I only make Neapolitan style pizza, so that's why the broiler works for me.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:39 pm 

Last night, I made Pizza Margherita from CI's 2006 article, used the stone about halfway up. It was good, but not brilliant. The crust was a super fast one and I think it showed; it was one of the weaker components.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next