Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Correction to CI 2,000 Recipes Buttermilk Loaf Bread p. 586
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 am 

Noticed a correction posted on Facebook for CI's new book 2,000 recipes. All you experienced cooks probably would have noticed this but here is the post:

I want to make the buttermilk loaf bread in your latest cookbook of 2,000 recipes, but I am confused how much buttermilk and whole milk to add. (page 586)

The recipe states, "Substitute 1/3 cup buttermilk, heated to 110 degrees, for whole milk."
I think the book meant to say, "substitute 1/3 of the WHOLE milk with buttermilk, to now have 2/3 whole milk and 1/3 buttermilk." So what's the correct amount of buttermilk and while milk?

Cook's Illustrated Magazine Hi Christopher, thank you for leaving a comment. We checked with a test cook and the correct amount is 1 cup buttermilk for 1 cup whole milk. We will be correcting this error in future editions of the cookbook. Thanks again. --Stephanie

Post subject: Re: Correction to CI 2,000 Recipes Buttermilk Loaf Bread p.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 am 

Not to be snarky, but since this isn't the first time this has happened, shouldn't they consider getting an editor first - ya know, before they publish the book?

Post subject: Re: Correction to CI 2,000 Recipes Buttermilk Loaf Bread p.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 am 

I agree that those are the types of errors that SHOULD be caught, but as someone who reviews a lot of detailed documents, sometimes one just slips past you. I cringe every time I see one that I missed but it happens.

Of course in my case it's usually only 1-2 people doing the editing, not a whole team like I imagine CI must have. Or not.