Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soup Cook Book
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:23 am 

The recent addition of two little soup eaters to our home has me looking for at least one very good soup cookbook.

That combined with a $50.00 Amazon gift certificate given by a gracious friend to be used toward our adoption has me researching for "just the right book(s)"

The girls now eat soup for lunch nearly every day. They can be vegetable or meat based. After all...man does not live by chili alone.

What sez you guys?

Post subject: Re: Soup Cook Book
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 am 

I have Soup and Bread by Crescent Dragonwagon. She wrote it before she went entirely vegetarian, so there are some chicken-based recipes in it, but I don't think there's anything with red meat. The recipes I use from it most often are --

Hillbilly Many-Bean Soup - Good with just a ham bone and water as its base or with vegetable stock. Leave out the honey, and you've got a recipe for vegans should you find yourself needing to feed one.

Hangover Soup - Not only great if you're hung-over, but also when you're sick. I always make this when I'm under the weather.

Gumbo Zeb (Gumbo with Greens) - More work than it likely needs to be, but delicious and most of it can be prepared ahead.

Rosemary Focaccia - My favorite focaccia recipe. I use fresh rosemary on top, though.

Black-Eyed Pea Soup - A Cuban-inspired soup. I make it every year on January 1.

Browned Vegetable Stock - My favorite vegetable stock. It doesn't try to taste like a meat-based stock. It's very hearty especially if you've been saving your shiitake stems and you chuck them in as well.

I should warn you that there is a pinto bean soup that has been labeled "chili". However, she does mention in the introduction that there is ample evidence to support the idea that vegetarian bean stews that think they are chili may actually be part of a "feminist plot."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 am 

Frank
CI's soups & stews is a good book, but as you can imagine they are involved. I have a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that has simple but very good soups. It's a small book that I bought at a discount store many years ago, but I bet you can get it online. I am in FLA now, but will be home over the weekend. I will send you the name of it. If I forget, send me a reminder Sun afternoon.
Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 am 

Jes, The name "Cresent Dragonwagon," combined withe the words "feminist plot." is enough to scare the :evil: out of me!!

Why do I have visions of Cauldrons’, black leather, and interesting uses for pot racks??? :o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 am 

Frank
I am a soupaholic and my favorite book is "The Daily Soup Cookbook" from the restaurant of the same name (by Leslie Kaul and Bob Spiegel). Everything I havae made has gotten rave reviews.
ilene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:23 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
Jes, The name "Cresent Dragonwagon," combined withe the words "feminist plot." is enough to scare the :evil: out of me!!

Why do I have visions of Cauldrons’, black leather, and interesting uses for pot racks??? :o

I think "somewhat flighty children's author" might be the more accurate picture. Your pot racks must be much sturdier than mine if they can handle what you're imagining. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Frank,

Count me as a second vote for Crescent Dragonwagon. Weird name, good soups.

On the No votes, I recently got rid of "12 Months of Monastery Soups"; 3/4 of the soups were simply bland, and the other 1/4 duplicated stuff I have elsewhere.

This thread moved to Cookbooks category.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:04 pm 

Barbara Kafka has a good book - Soup, a Way of Life. It was published in 1998 so you could probably get a used one on Amazon. I use this book quite a bit. Also use Crescent Dragonwagon's book.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:35 pm 

Frank
Better Homes & Gardens
Soups & Stews

ISBN 0-696-01844-6

Kathy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:09 am 

Hey Big Buddy - missed ya! I've been pouring fuel on the fires over at the other fort; trying to do some subversive recruitin' as well.

Anyway, regarding soups how would you feel if each of us PMed you with some of our very favoritist soup recipes (we could even just post them to a special category here). Saves on buying a bunch of books and gives you the best of the best, sort of, from the weirdos you know!! :roll: :P