Post subject: Re: Truly Mexican
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:12 am 

I want to eat at Dave's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Amy,

Thanks for recommending this cookbook!

I got it out of the library this week, and just made the "Simple Pepitas" recipe, with snapper and shrimp. It was great, and surprisingly easy.

The one problem was that I didn't put the lid on my food grinder quite right, and as a result had to clean about 1/3 of the sauce off the wall ...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:28 am 

I've made a couple of the adobos out of this book, and they're outstanding. Last night I made his Mole Poblano..omg, it was fantastic! I served it with roasted chicken, my black beans, rice and garlic collard greens. My nephew later told me I should live with them. lol...

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:52 pm 

Tried something that sounded interesting from this book today - the Guacamole with Chicharrón, p. 114. The author stated that it was his favorite of all the recipes he had tried, and I love chicharrónes, so I had to try it. Turns out, the chicharrón was almost unnoticeable, except for the stuff put on top for crunch. I was expecting much more flavor to come through. It was also somewhat dry, due to the fact that the chicharrónes stirred in absorbed a lot of moisture. Not bad, but a waste of chicharrón, IMO.

However, I also made another dish last week that turned out great - the Burnt Chipotle Chile Salsa - a.k.a. Salsa Negra - p. 82. Similar to Bayless' Salsa Negra in his Mexican Kitchen book, but made with Meco rather than morita chipotles, less sweet (though not considerable less, probably due to the onion), plus a touch of vinegar, which does not come through as such, just a slight tartness. It is also less hot, having less peppers/cup than the Bayless version. It cooked down to just under a cup, compared to 1 3/4 c, to get the same consistency.

We found it more useful than the Bayless version as a condiment; that is, spreading on a corn tortilla, then adding a simple taco filling, and maybe another salsa. I also tried it in one of my favorite recipes using the other, from the same Mexican kitchen book: Shrimp in Chipotle Sauce. Since this was slightly milder, I used the max. - 4 tb. - and it was delicious. Not sure if we liked it better - one friend suggested we have this again soon, and make it with both, so we can compare. I wonder if he really wanted to compare, or just have two more recipes of shrimp!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59 am 

I'm lying in bed feeling too lazy to go down to my bookshelves, so I googled "Roberto Santibanez salsa verde" as I want to make some today and wanted to see his take on it.

Um, the man has a virtual cooking school (well, kind of) on YouTube. Kinda basic stuff, but good for those who are not really familiar with Mexican cooking.

Check it out.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 pm 

Hello All,
I'm reviving this thread becuse I finally decided to order this book after some hesitation. My cooking has gone so stale lately. I really want to change it up and try something new. My experience with mexican cooking is very, very limited (CI Enchiladas Verdes), so I took the plunge. My step son just returned from doing a college exchange year in Mexico, so that also inspired mt to take on a challenge. He just loved the food down there. I was thinking about starting with the picture on the cover of the book, but I cannot seem to find a reference to that photo. I am thinking Adobo-Marinated Shrimp. Does that seem right to you guys????? Thanks and wish me luck.

Bored with my food, Karen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:16 pm 

Yes, it's adobo-marinated shrimp. Take the plunge...it's a great book.

Have fun experimenting Karen!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:07 pm 

OK,dumb question. Are the Chiles in the Adobo recipes supposed to be dried?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:07 pm 

Yes, they are.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Jaxallie,

In the front section of the book, there's 5 pages of information on chiles, how to buy them and how to prepare them.