Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Family Meal: Home wooking with Ferran Adria
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 am 

Just got this book and it looks very interesting. THere are 31 3-course menus, each of which is very carefully laid out (with a time line). Most recipes are just a handful of steps and most use available ingredients (with a few exceptions). Amazingly, each step of each recipe has a photograph so the book is amazingly visual. There are either 6 or 9 color pictures per page - some of which have a brief recipe instruction written in black and white. For any given recipe, there are ingredient lists based on the number of servings you are planning to make. Typically, they give the breakdown for 2, 6, 20, and 75 servings. The recipes themselves look very good - I know I'll be trying this soon.

Gerard

Post subject: Re: Family Meal: Home wooking with Ferran Adria
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 pm 

I never knew Adria was a Star Wars fan! But it is a very modernist series.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:36 pm 

I have been eyeballing that book myself. I just ordered a chunk of books for a box that is coming this way next month. In it I have some of this and that, including Joy of Cooking since it is so often referenced when people talk about home cooking, the high heat cookbook I mentioned in a different thread, some of the Frugal Chef cookbooks from the 70's and 80's. He was a great cook with a wonderful love of food, but he came to a sad end. I have been thinking about getting one of Heston Blumenthal's cookbooks but the one guy Heston routinely lost out to was Ferran. And these recipes are purportedly aimed at the home cook, or home preparation at least. That is so <insert explicative here> intriguing!

I may just have to do this one before I buy Keller, McGee or Blumenthal ... sorry boys!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 am 

I'd strongly recommend buying & READING McGee before all others as it will make the rest of them more interesting; you will better appreciate the fine points of the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 pm 

I will keep your sage advice in mind when I order more books!

By the way, I may wait on the soy sauce brine, though I really like the idea. I wish we had more choices of soy sauce here (at reasonable costs). I need to learn to read Korean so I can figure out which of theirs is naturally brewed. We have Filipino soy sauce available inexpensively, but the odds of it being naturally brewed are likely the same as a Filipino walking on the moon. Korean stuff is available for the constant stream of Korean students. I need to find an older student that can guide me in purchasing.

I am looking at a honey and cloves brine that sound promising and I don't have to trust to an unknown manufacturing process by a company that has had their products banned from import in the USA and Britain at one point.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 pm 

I had a peek at the Adria book while at the bookstore. I have to say, I was intrigued by the format and idea behind the book. It is also intriguing because of who it is by, and how much the book isn't what he is famous for. I'd be interested in the story of the book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:22 am 

I just took this out of the library, and while I wish he'd publish a professional book, this certainly is an intriguing book. I like the visual style...it's the kind of book that would work well if you have a less experienced cook working with you. The first recipe I opened to was Miso soup with clams...yum!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 am 

I received my (Euro) copy yesterday and read through the introductory material and some of the recipes. I'll definitely be making some things out of this, and indeed the pics etc will help my "sous-chef". It is a strange book in many ways, but I kinda like it in concept. It also will help me integrate more things like Catalan flavours into my food (I've already been eyeing some of the sauces).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:18 am 

Made Meal 11, fried eggs with asparagus, then chicken wings with mushrooms. Heavenly! My only notes:

- Frying chicken wings in a pan is a delicate business. It will require you to be careful and allow the wings to release from the pan
- This will be difficult to make for more then two, since you need to lay all the wings out in a pan. Maybe two pans would do it. I suspect doing it in the oven would work out better, but that would require a little experimentation.
- The quantities seem low; 6 (whole) wings for two people. But the first course is pretty substantial, and the wings are very rich. 3 each is quite enough I think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 am 

Last night, made the first two course of Meal 17; Baked potatoes with Romesco Sauce, followed by Whiting in Salsa Verde. We deviated from the rice pudding and had some sherbet and sorbet.

Basically, you bake some new potatoes (no fluffy ones here) with some whole onions and put Romesco sauce over the potatoes. The Whiting is cooked in a salsa verde sauce, essentially it is shallow poached in olive oil, water, garlic and parsley.

Notes:
- I didn't use small enough potatoes and onions, throwing the times off. But it was still good.
- We only used an approximation of Romesco sauce. I'd love to make the exact sauce he lists someday and try it out. It doesn't have a flavour profile I'm used to.
- The idea of tomato sauce on baked potatoes is odd, but turned out surprisingly well.
- Whiting is bony but tasty. The recipe will adapt to any fish well I think, so I'll just use a fillet next time. My wife gets hinky on too many small bones. Or I'll learn how to bone fish well.
- The fish in salsa verde thing is really really tasty, healthy and easy. Since we try to eat quite a bit of fish, I easily forsee this being used frequently.

All in all quite good and quite easy.