Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used Bookstore/Yard Sale Finds
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 am 

I recently picked up Marion Cunningham's The Breakfast Book for $3 in mint condition, and a good condition Larousse Gastronomique (1988 edition) for $20 (not a super deal, but I couldn't pass it up). Now I have something to read on the bus. :D
I also got a Time Life SeriesCooking around the World - New England for $1 (if anyone needs it to fill out their collection it I'll give it to them). There were a few cookbooks that I already had for decent prices at the used bookstore but none that I wanted a second copy of or wanted to give as gifts.

Have you had any great finds in used bookstores or yard sales?

Post subject: Re: Used Bookstore/Yard Sale Finds
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:17 am 

I bought Jacques Pepin's "Le Methode" for $1.00 at a garage sale. I don't think the book had ever been opened. It was a wedding gift and the owner thought it looked too hard.
fitzie

PS - I love Marion Cunningham's books and the Breakfast Book is one of my favorites

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:48 am 

One of my favorite finds, SAUCES FRENCH & FAMOUSby Louis Diat, 1954. It covers the 6 basics: white, brown, butter, cold, game, and dessert and presents variations within each. Most touching is the dedication: "To my nephew Jules Diat who was a fine French saucier with a future as a great chef but who gave his life for the cause of freedom."

The Note to Reader is signed R.R.R. and the introduction by L.D. - does anyone know who these initials belong to???? :?:

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Louis Diat, a chef at the Ritz-Carlton in New York City, is most often credited with its invention.[4] In 1950, Diat told New Yorker magazine:

In the summer of 1917, when I had been at the Ritz seven years, I reflected upon the potato and leek soup of my childhood which my mother and grandmother used to make. I recalled how during the summer my older brother and I used to cool it off by pouring in cold milk and how delicious it was. I resolved to make something of the sort for the patrons of the Ritz.[5]
The same article explains that the soup was first titled crème vichyssoise glacée - then, after the restaurant's menu changed from French to English in 1930, cream vichyssoise glacée. Diat named it after Vichy, a town not far from his home town of Montmarault, France.

The book includes a copy of his recipe, entered by R.R.R., and I can either post it or send it to anyone for 1 please and 1 thank you. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:16 pm 

My most exciting find recently was that All Clad frypan for a couple of dollars. Sinful.

Regarding Foods of the World - that is just the best series. After you mentioned it I looked through my collection again (I have the New England one). What a treasure. I got started on them at thrift shops. I feel like they show a part of history that is irrecoverable and still relevant.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:11 pm 

I've picked up most of the Foods of the World series from library sales. Actually, most of the used cookbooks I own are from library sales. The best ones I ever found at a yard sales were the first 6 CI annuals for about $12.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 pm 

easy bake wrote:
My most exciting find recently was that All Clad frypan for a couple of dollars. Sinful.

If you never find another bargain, that was worth it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 pm 

The only Foods of the World book I own is for French cooking, and the only reason I do own it is because of EB. I'd love to have more of these...they are lovely.

Unfortunately there are no used book stores and infrequent yard sales in my little neck of paradise, so I mostly rely on half.com for anything approaching a bargain.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:23 pm 

Amy,
Is that the haute cuisine or the Provincial France?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
Amy,
Is that the haute cuisine or the Provincial France?

Classic French Cooking...definitely haute cuisine, although not titled that way.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:29 pm 

I haven't found any good books but I did find a brand new label still on little LC dutch oven (not enameled) on a table at flea market on a table marked "everything 5 francs" which, at that time, was about 3 or 4 dollars. A couple years later I found a Staub cast iron frying for about 5 bucks. The man selling it was complaining how his wife had to have this expensive pan but everything stuck to it... I fixed it.

Mary