Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Flavor Bible
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 am 

Alas, it is not available on Kindle. It is available on iBooks, but I much prefer the Kindle due to much wider support. At least it is cheaper then the physical book.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 am 

Paul,
It is available for kindle. $16.99. I haven't transferred to iPad yet, but I checked my kindle; it's there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:17 am 

Hmm. Ahh .. I see now, I don't see a Kindle version listed because "This title is not available for customers from: Canada"

I gotta tell you, if the publishers crash and burn it will be hard for me to be sympathetic. I am so tired of them trying to manipulate what I can buy, when and where. I have money, you have product, what is so ******* hard to understand about how this works?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 am 

Unreal. :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 am 

How bout you send us cheap pharmaceuticals, we send you Kindle books? Win / Win... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 pm 

PM me for the ReginaFunLine # :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Cleaning up this weekend I found a B&N gift card that I had forgotten. This is going in the cart but I can get another book. What else can't I live without? Maybe a sous-vide primer?

The first book I would buy for sous vide is Thomas Keller's Under Pressure. Yes, it's a high-end book that makes no attempt to adapt recipes for the home kitchen, but if does teach you a lot, and it's easy to envision how some of these recipes could be adapted for the home cook.

Amy

P.S. There is some great information on the web, as well. Just look at Douglas Baldwin's website. He is hawking his book on the site, but scroll down and you'll get a lot of info that is in the book. His is a practical primer...Keller's is a cook's dream.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm 

Leaves me to wonder just what kind of Kindle books you will be requesting... 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Paul Kierstead wrote:
I gotta tell you, if the publishers crash and burn it will be hard for me to be sympathetic. I am so tired of them trying to manipulate what I can buy, when and where. I have money, you have product, what is so ******* hard to understand about how this works?

It's not the fault of the publishers, actually, but of the whole stupid 19th Century publishing system. See, if you need to acquire rights to stuff in the book (reprinted passages, pictures, speeches, or in some cases a whole manuscript) then you need to either buy "US" or "World" rights. World rights are, of course, more expensive. So if the publisher is worried about demand for the book, they just get US rights. If they want to get world rights later on, then they have to go back and renegotiate with all the rights-holders, which they're not going to do unless there's huge demand.

Of course, when they put the book online for eBooks, those rights limitations have to be enforced. The publisher is not allowed to sell you the ebook if you live outside the US, and Amazon honors that because otherwise they don't get the ebook at all.

If you fabricated a US identity for buying ebooks, neither Amazon nor the publisher would come after you or even try very hard to penetrate it. They're just fulfilling a contractural obligation. They want to sell you the book.

Now, I'm not saying that the system doesn't deserve to crash and burn. But please understand that it's a whole system and legal structure which has its origins in early 1800's music publishing which is deservedly moribund, and not the particular fault of Little, Brown & Co. :?

(my wife is an editor and photo researcher, hence the little lecture)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:45 pm 

Heh, I have a US identity (not to mention in-laws, and two different shipping addresses...), which I used for some years for iTunes. Also, there is bit torrent, but I like to pay authors. I guess it isn't the fault of individual publishers, but their system, quite frankly, sucks. It leeches off both the customer and the author and worse of all doesn't even manage to be obscenely profitable in the meantime (I think some fat has accrued too). I like my business simple; money == product, a simple one night stand. Everyone seems to want a relationship. The number of products I've tried to buy where they wanted an NDA to *discuss* a price goes on at some length. And all I want to do is spend the clients money, not talk about it. Anyway, I could go off on a loooong rant, but in the end, I bought the iBooks version for the same price as the Kindle version. If I should want to read it on something other then an Apple product, I'll break the DRM conscience free.