Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What cooking magazines do you subscribe?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:21 pm
CooksIllustrated / CooksCountry 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
Saveur 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Gourmet 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
La Cucina Italia / Italian Cooking & Living 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Martha Stewart 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Dessert Professional 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sunset Magazine 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Cooking Light 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Any veggie magazine (Veggie Times, etc.) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Other (please name in comments) 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Re: What other magazines do you read?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 pm 

I subscribe to CI, C@H, and Bon Apetit. But I find I rarely read BA like I used to, and will let that subscription lapse this year, after reading it for over 20 years! I use CI and C@H quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am 

I subscribe to Bon Appetit and Eating Well. I keep saying I'm going to stop Bon Appetit. Eating Well is excellent.

Slightly off topic: Costco has two giant volumes of Bon Appetit recipes on sale for the combined cost of $30. Has anyone bought them? If I bought them, could I nuke the 20 years of Bon Appetit's I've been hording?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:24 am 

http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/trendsnewproducts/a/cleaneating.htm

Has anyone else seen this mag - it's called Clean Eating. OK there are probably jokes here, but it is based on lower pesticide etc foods. It's a fun read if you are into that line of thought.

eb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 pm 

I posted a long-ish reply to this yesterday, but somehow it disappeared. Entirely my fault, I'm sure.

Anyway, aside from Taste of Home, I pretty much never met a cooking magazine I didn't want to read. And to enable this addiction, I work at ad agency and many magazines find their way to the company gratis. So between the freebies and my subscriptions, I generally look at: CI, CC, BA, Gourmet, Saveur, Food & Wine, Rachel Ray, Sunset, Fine Cooking, Cuisine at Home, Intermezzo, and I'm probably forgetting a couple. I'm embarassed just looking at this list.

Also, for those interested in Saveur (and probably others) look for a deal on eBay, Amazon or a site like magazinepricesearch.com. There are bargains to be had.

Marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:01 pm 

I don't actually subscribe to CI/CC, just have online memberships. I don't think I'll continue when they're up for renewal. I receive and really enjoy Cuisine at Home. I really enjoy the color layout with lots of pictures. I think they have similar quality to CI, but their recipes are much simpler. I've been very happy with all the recipes I've made from it. The only one I didn't love was too spicy for me, but my DH and MIL both really liked it.

I also have a free subscription to Bon Appetit that I received as part of an Amazon offer. I don't cook much from it, but it's fun to look through.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 pm 

My mother gifts me with Southern Living - which I don't really care for, but she never asked me. I have canceled my CI subscription because I really don't see much new & although I have many of their cookbooks & cook from them frequently, they are labor intensive & my kitchen is a mess after cooking them. Every pot has been used & it is a PIA to clean up. I am grateful from what I have learned through reading the mag, but I just don't see anything that is continuing my education.

I think I will have to pick up a Cuisine at Home., I'm not sure I am familiar with this mag. I also subscribe to Fine Cooking, but I am letting that lapse. Also, Every day cooking. I just can't absorb all these recipes.
Kathy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:24 pm 

I agree that the CI recipes are too labor intensive which is why I don't try more of them. Is it just me, but in the early years they didn't seem so labor intensive. It seems like as they re-write the same recipes, the recipes get more labor intensive. Life is too short to be cleaning the kitchen!

For year I took Southern Living and I liked the recipes. But I've enter that part of my years that I can't do recipes that start with "1 c. butter". I also use to take Sunset, however, DH wasn't interested in recipes that start with "1 c. bean sprouts." ;)

The internet has really caused my to limit my magazine subscriptions -- I can find so many recipes on line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:27 pm 

I was a subcriber to CI from the beginning, but when my current subscription runs out I won't be renewing. I agree the recipes have become quite repetitive, and more complicated and fussy over the years. I recently went through all my old issues and pulled out what was of interest, and tossed the rest. I think there were about 6-8 recipes/articles that I pulled - the rest went. I did notice that the early issues seemed to be more interesting article wise, and less "preachy" on the cooking aspects.

Currently, in addition to CI, I've started getting Cuisine At Home (which I'm really enjoying), as well as Southern Living (they've gotten much more health conscious in their recipes) and Food Network (jury is still out on this one) - both gift subscriptions from friends. I also just subscribed to Saveur after all the interesting comments I've seen here and am looking forward to seeing my first issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:45 pm 

I am an online subscriber to CI, CC, and FC. I am a print subscriber to CC, FC, C@H, Cooking Light, and MS Living. The last two are new. I rarely remake the same recipes. I mean, there are many that I do but more of the recipes I make are new to me. I love the constant influx of inspiration.

Right now I am participating in the Fine Cooking contest- Cook the Issue #97. It is going good, it is exciting and it is forcing me to try things I wouldn't otherwise...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm 

I subscribe to Saveur and CI, my two favorites, as well as Chili Pepper - a gift - and bon appétit - a free subscription, with an order somewhere. I still find a few really good recipes from BA, more than from CI in recent years, for sure. Still I hate reading through a magazine that is 90% advertising. Chili pepper has been a gift from my cousin for a few years, and has some good recipes, but I probably would not subscribe to it on my own. Saveur has the most interesting recipes, and articles to go with them, as well as info on unusual ingredients.

CI seems to be losing its appeal to many of the old timers, for mostly the same reasons - repetitiive, unnecessarily labor intensive recipes, with new recipes worth trying few and far between. I used to like getting useful methods to use in other recipes, as much as getting recipes, but the complicating of recipes (like using 3 pans for what used to be a one dish meal) made this a seldom obtained benefit, too. I'll probably let it lapse, too, and if there are a good number of recipes one year, buy the annual book for that year, or the new "Best Of CI" every few years.

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next