Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greek Issue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

The current month of Saveur is Greek on the cover ... and unexpectedly, on the inside as well. Half the magazine is devoted to Greek food. Yaaaay. I'm doing Greek for the 2nd time this week.

As well as a fun read, there are 4-5 pages of recipes. As usual, though, Saveur didn't bother to check the recipes after editing them for style and space. Ones to watch out for: Alvevropita (feta tart) and Briam (roasted vegetables). The first has a pan which is way too large, and the second can't be made to work. Also, I recommend a food processor to grind the walnuts, oil, and vinegar for Skordalia; note that you can use lemon juice instead of vinegar.

The shrimp saganaki were delicious; just give the shrimp 3 minutes to cook in the pan before putting them in the broiler (the recipe omits this).

Post subject: Re: Greek Issue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:45 am 

Thanks for the tips Fuzzy....I am enjoying this issue, but haven't tried any of the recipe's yet so your tips will come in handy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:12 pm 

I plan on making the Alvevropita for lunch tomorrow. Fuzzy, when you made it, what size pan did you use? It doesn't look very thick in the photos, I'm assuming about 1/2". Could it be free-formed?
Fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Fitzie,

I'd advise against the Saveur recipe for that. I dug through and found a recipe from Diane Kochilias; as usual, Saveur cut several steps in the recipe for space (notice that the recipe as described in the article does not at all match the recipe at the end of the magazine?).

If I have time later this morning I'll dig out Kochilas' recipe and type it out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Fitzie,

As you'll see from the recipe below, Saveur's recipe uses 70% as much batter, and a pan which is 50% larger. This, in the experience of one blogger, results in a sort of feta cracker burned at the edges (not the desired effect). I suspect that the author was told to adapt the recipe to standard pan sizes (you'll see this is kind of a problem with the Kochilas recipe) and had a math fail.

From Kochilas' Glorious Foods of Greece (highly recommended):

http://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Foods-Gr ... 315&sr=8-1

2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1.5 cups and 3 Tbs water
1 lbs sheeps's milk feta
5 Tbs e.v. olive oil, plus extra for greasing
15" round baking pan, 2 inches deep

Heat oven to 325F. Brush pan with olive oil and dust lightly with flour.

Combine the flour and salt. Add one beaten egg and 1.5 cups of the water, and mix until combined; should resemble pancake batter.

Pour 2/3 of the batter into the pan, and then tilt it around to get an even coating over the bottom. Crumble the feta and spread evenly over the batter.

Beat the remaining egg and mix it, the olive oil, and the extra 3 Tbs water into the remaining batter. Spoon this mixture over the feta. It will not be enough to cover the feta, some should show through in many spots.

Bake until the pie peels away from the pan easily about 40 min. Should be about 1/2 inch thick. Cool before cutting and serving.

Notes:

If you don't have a 15" round baking pan (who does?) then you can make a half-recipe in a 9 x 9 square ( or 11 x 7, because 9x9 isn't terribly common either ) or 11" round baking pan. Or, more likely, two half recipes, since who wants to deal with half an egg?

You can also, according to Kochilas, grate zuchinni, salt, squeeze and drain, and add to the recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm 

Fuzzy, thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to send me this information. I'm going to make this recipe in a couple of days and will report back.
Fitzie