Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: WELL, IT'S OFFICIAL!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:47 pm 

jim262 wrote:
When I went looking, I used the board's advanced search feature. It is necessary to push the calendar back a month at a time, but that is a fairly quick process with a fast internet connection.

You can also speed things up by adjusting the date code in the URL. Example: normal search gives you: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/Sea ... &f=0&m=Any

The date code is where you see sd (start date) and ed (end date). If you change the first two numbers of the start date to 55 it will search back to the start of the board.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/Sea ... &f=0&m=Any

This speeds up your search a little bit, but you still have to work through the CI search logic (which wasn't always very logical)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, Kurt!

We gonna be seeing you around here more?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 pm 

talanhart wrote:
Steve,
What's your shipping code. I will punch it into our UPS software and see how much it would cost to ship you a package that weighs upwards of 10 pounds.

DHL might be a better carrier fo the P.I.'s I have better luck with them on most International stuff

http://dct.dhl.com/input.jsp?langId=en

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Hey, Kurt!

We gonna be seeing you around here more?

Time is at a premium at the moment, but I do hope to be spending more time here in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 am 

Da Bull Man, thanks for the info, I have (for a second time) buttermilk, cheese, kefir, and other starters coming from the USA. I will advise my shipper to see if they can send DHL as first choice and FedEx as second choice. Last time it was Postal and the local post office let the package sit for two weeks in their office before letting me know it was here. My starters were non-starters at that point. Hopefully this batch will survive the trip since I am paying the higher delivery charge for a private carrier.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Tatoosh wrote:
My starters were non-starters at that point.

:D

I'll have to reuse that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:01 pm 

Tatoosh wrote:
Da Bull Man, thanks for the info, I have (for a second time) buttermilk, cheese, kefir, and other starters coming from the USA. I will advise my shipper to see if they can send DHL as first choice and FedEx as second choice. Last time it was Postal and the local post office let the package sit for two weeks in their office before letting me know it was here. My starters were non-starters at that point. Hopefully this batch will survive the trip since I am paying the higher delivery charge for a private carrier.

Would it be possible for you to order from New Zealand? They might be faster, shipping-wise. I got starters from there when I was at the Pole.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:14 pm 

BeckyH, thanks for the info. I haven't run into a New Zealand provider of starters but I did try an Australian one once. They were very nice and tried to help get the stuff here in a timely manner. The biggest problem is Customs. Stuff from the USA doesn't take that long, provided you are willing to pay the higher price. I have my starters leaving the USA today (was just woken up by a phone call confirming how I wanted it shipped). DHL said Dec 1st was their target delivery date but for another twenty, FedEx would try to have it here by Saturday. I went with FedEx. All that said, Customs can totally whack things around, holding shipments for a month if they want to. Just depends on who looks at it that day and how they are feeling.

If this shipment fails to arrive in good order, my next try will be the Australian supplier again, but notching up the delivery service as high as I can afford. I am about ready to start saving the shipping fees so I can just take a short vacation there and bring it back by hand. Actually that would be pretty feasible if there was a good supplier in Hong Kong for starters.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7