Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you do.....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 pm 

with all of your previously enjoyed magazines? I, for some reason, hate to throw them out, and most of them I can get on line, but, I argue with myself. I don't want to end up on A&E, or now, TLC, but I mostly I hoard food. I get: Bon Appetite, Cook's Country, Cook's Illustrated, (I stopped the hard copy, and get them online) Saveur, old copies of Gourmet; Cuisine at Home, Food and Wine.

Post subject: Re: What do you do.....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:01 pm 

I have a problem with that too. I save many of the same ones as you. I am no longer getting CC or CI, I'm not happy with them at the moment, but may sign up again in the future. I was however thinking of getting just the hard cover annual of CI, it contains all the mags and stores in much less space.

L

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm 

After 25 years of collecting them (most of them listed), I called one of the local colleges with a culinary program to see if they wanted them....and they did. Now, I recycle them when I get the annual and I only get the CI Annual now that Gourmet is defunct.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:41 am 
Site Admin

I keep most of them.

However, for my back issues of La Cucina Italia, I actually hired a college student to xerox out all of the veggie and fish recipes and sort them in a binder. Then I got rid of the magazines.

My back issues of Saveur are somewhat less than useful because saveur does not publish an index. Grrr.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 am 

I used to save them all but realized that I don't need all those recipes, won't even live long enough to make them all. I have a shelf where I keep my cookbooks with some rattan file holders and when they are full I offer them to friends or toss them. The first time I did it was painful but it gets easier and easier.
Mary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:46 am 

I used to save them, and had piles and piles of old cooking mags. They finally became depressing and I realized I was never, ever going to actually cook from them and I pitched them all. Now I read through them, clip a recipe here and there, and either throw them or leave somewhere other people may want to look through them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:08 am 

I had every issue of Bon Appetit and years of Gourmet. I realized I'd never use them so one spring I sat down and went through every one of them for old time's sake. I offered them to friends, sold them at a garage sale, and gave the rest to the Good Will. Now I rip recipes that appeal to me out as soon as I read them.

I'm gradually whittling down the cookbooks and food realted books but that's a bit harder.

Now, could somebody please tell me what to do with the rest of this stuff?

Fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 am 

MiGirl wrote:
I have a problem with that too. I save many of the same ones as you. I am no longer getting CC or CI, I'm not happy with them at the moment, but may sign up again in the future. I was however thinking of getting just the hard cover annual of CI, it contains all the mags and stores in much less space.

I also dropped my magazine subscription with the idea I might buy the annual. I'd *prefer* to buy an annual PDF version, saving me money, them money the environment some wear and tear, but apparently no.