Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Lamb Rules
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 am 

I just picked up the October Saveur, because the cover says "Why Lamb Rules" It has some really great sounding recipes. As some of you know, DH is from Oz, and wouldn't eat lamb if it was free!! I didn't grow up eating , which is strange, because the town I'm from in California is a Basque settlement, and there was LOTS of lamb. I didn't actually eat it until I went to an Algerian wedding, and the lamb was roasted whole, on a spit (engineers: likely involved a great deal of beer drinking.) When it was ready, we all lined up, and were issued a knife and a plate, and we sliced off what we wanted of the lamb. Down the table was the fruit, cheese, yogurt, etc. It was a memorable feast and a memorable wedding (I usually don't remember wedding specifics.)

I tried to cook it after we were married, but Ton' said he would cook it. This was not a plan. He cooked an entire leg of lamb without garlic! He also cooked it well done. Yuck. The price of lamb has gone down, so I buy it when it reduced for quick sale, and my wonderful late MIL sent me an Australian cookbook by Beverly Sutherland Smith.

Anyone else get this issue? Do you like lamb? What looked good to you?

Post subject: Re: Why Lamb Rules
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 pm 

I saw the issue but didn't buy it. With all the magazines in the house I have to hold myself back on these things.

I got into lamb big time this year. http://lousmostexcellent.blogspot.com/2009/08/lous-most-excellent-grilled-lamb.html

...lou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:05 pm 

I have the issue and cannot wait to try some of the offerings using our great Colorado lamb
ilene

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

All,

For someone who doesn't eat meat, like me, this Saveur was a bit of a dud. The non-lamb articles, like the Tuscan Festa, were kind of old hat and didn't have much which was interesting. Oh, well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 am 

Nice blogging Lou. Those lamb photos are lovely! A nice cut.

Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm 

I agree about the photos. I just BBQ'd some chops from the freezer last week - right after I got ATK's "Cooking for Two," which has a good looking recipe for Roast Rack of Lamb with Whiskey Sauce" which I'm going to try. Actually, I like barbequed lamb.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 pm 

I am not a big fan of lamb. It's ok and I will eat it, but I have never ordered lamb at a restaurant. I have had it at buffets etc. I actually bought some ground lamb and cooked it about a month ago when I made Pita breads. Probably the only time I will ever buy lamb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:45 am 

Lamb is too spendy around here, but I do really like it. I even like the smell of it when it's raw.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 pm 

Hi,

I really love lamb of every age and provenance. It's almost as good as goat.

Coscto and Sam's always have boneless leg from New Zealand. This is wonderful marinated and grilled for a nice sear and rare center. They also have loin chops which we will skewer with rosmary and grill. Their rack of lamb is a bargain compared to Colorado racks.

The Colorado lamb is a wonderful treat, larger and milder than Aussie or NZ lamb. It can be very reasonably priced in larger cities. We always return from Chicago with large and thick Colorado lamb rib chops.

Anyone who dislikes lamb has not tasted a seared, rare chop or properly prepared leg can blame the cook. Long cooking past rare with lots of fat attached does give lamb a gamey flavor; many people think it's mutton but that is really not available.

The best thing to do is to do with a leg is the rid it of excess fat. Season well with all the usual suspects like rosemary, garlic, mustard, EVOO, soy. Sear on the outside and roast to an internal temp between 120 and 130. A friend asked me about the really delicious roast that she was eating. I told her and exclaimed that she hated lamb. She still claims to hate lamb.

Trimmings from frenching a rack can be used to make a wonderful sausage. Lamb burgers are also a family favorite. Everyone should be willing to try different types of meat.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:45 pm 

easy bake wrote:
Nice blogging Lou. Those lamb photos are lovely! A nice cut.

Lynn

Merci!

...lou