Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June CI: some good, some bad
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

All,

Got my June CI last week -- our last one -- and was looking over it. Unlike the last issue, there were some winner articles in this issue. Just not enough to get me to re-subscribe.

I'm glad they reviewed grill baskets. I've wondered about those. Also, introducing people to Ricotta Salata (one of my favorite cheeses) for Pasta Alla Norma is a nice touch. And the tomato-almond pesto is not one I'd seen before, maybe worth a try.

The two-page spread on essential kitchen equipment is a nice idea, especially given how often that question comes up on the internet. One defect though: their essential knives include no steel, yet have the dreaded knife-destroying Chef's Choice sharpener.

However, the Spanish Tortilla recipe is a disaster. The author seems to have set out to find the worst possible tortilla recipe and claimed victory for improving it. 3 or 4 cups of oil? Where did they get that from?

I'll note that Janet Mendel's tortilla recipe is faster, simpler and less messy than CI's. But they could hardly have started with hers, eh?

"We found this easy, low-cleanup recipe for tortillas, and decided it wasn't complicated enough. So we spent a weekend in the Test Kitchen adding extra steps until we had something you'll never make at home."

Or, as Kris put it: "'C.I.' stands for 'Complicated Instructions'".

Post subject: Re: June CI: some good, some bad
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:57 pm 

Thanks for the review (s) Fuzzy. I have both magazines and haven't had a chance to really read either (retirement was supposed to allow me time to indulge....I'll figure it out one of these days). Looking forward to trying the new CI pasta recipe.
ilene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:45 am 

I noticed a couple of thing in a quick review...it chaps me everytime they smoke things on a weber grill...as I recall it was because most people "have a weber type grill" I guess they continue to take issue with suggesting people buy a $200.00 Weber Smoky Mountain unit but do not blink an eye when saying in the kitchen essentials piece that a $250.00 Dutch Oven or a $200.00 AllClad skillet is a must.

The knife shapener was a joke...the Wart Hog Shapener is a MUCH better option.

The pork chop recipe say not to use mesquite, but I have no issue with mesquite on an hour or less smoke...after that it tends to get bitter...not good, they also say to use wood chips soaked in water...this fella ain't no pitmaster...soaked chips burn just as quickly as dry chips. Wood chunks are what is needed for a good steady smoke.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:29 am 

Da Bull Man wrote:
Wood chunks are what is needed for a good steady smoke.

My husband says "Amen!" to that. We just bought an offset smoker to replace the one we left in WV. It's the same brand/model, yet now they are made more cheaply. (We bought it online so couldn't see the quality beforehand.) It's a real disappointment, but Greg really likes an offset smoker vs. a vertical one, for whatever reason. Any recommendations?

P.S. How is parenthood treating you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:02 pm 

Parenthood is great...a lot easier than I thought, at least for now they really seem to like us and enjoy being around us. They both are very happy kids and bounce, skip and sing everywhere they go. The older girl, in spite of having no front teeth has just learned to whistle. They caught their first fish two weekend ago.

As for smokers...I am exteremly bias towards the ceramic Kamado smokers...they are a dream to regulate heat in and use very little fuel...downside is they cost an arm & a leg. Mine is made by Primo. It would be very hard for me to go back to an offset.