Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KAF Sift magazine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:13 pm 

I ordered the new KAF magazine for my sister for her birthday. For $12.95 I thought I was ordering a subscription of either two or four magazines, but this is the price for the Spring issue only. It better be a very nice magazine.

Post subject: Re: KAF Sift magazine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:01 am 

I saw the ad for this magazine and thought it looked pretty interesting too.
I'm going to grab a copy when I place my next order. I use a lot of their bread recipes and find them very solid. Never was a fan of their 'Baking Sheet' however.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:21 pm 

"Sift" is out there on magazine stands. We found it at Wegmans. One ad in 108 pages takes some of the sting out of the price. Interesting writing, good photography and some recipes that will probably turn out just great. I think we will make the Raisin Pecan Rye Bread and a couple of dips for dinner group later in the month.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:16 pm 

I got a copy in Costco last weekend and it definitely feels like I got my money's worth. It's priced like one of the Cuisine at Home or Fine Cooking special issues, and has a lot of interesting content. I made the beer pizza crust that same night, and it was good and what I really liked was that it only had to rest 30 minutes before assembly/baking. However it definitely has one problem that I've seen others comment about too on the KAF blog -- the font style/size in the recipes is totally unsuitable. I can't read any of the fractions without putting on my reading glasses. You'd think a group who publishes so many recipes would have that down to a science, but regardless I'm still glad I bought it.

Emilie

p.s. Linda, I never liked the "Baking Sheet" either. Always figured I must have been missing something since it had such a huge fan base. I think I still have the few issues I got for free at various times, but I've never made a single thing from them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:23 am 

I picked it up at Costco on Friday and just finished it. It is $9.06 at Costco. I really enjoyed it. There were several recipes in it that I want to try. Unfortunately, the recipes are not on the website so, I will have to type them into my LC. First on my list is the Caramel Cake.

I've been going through the recipes at the KAF site. I've made several breads and am trying their granola tonight.

Their Chocolate Chip Cookie 2015 recipe of the year won my best ever award. It is super easy and so so good. Healthier than most as well.

I will be getting each issue as it comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 am 

Alina, it's good to know that their cookie of the year was a winner. I haven't tried it, but I have used their Triple choc chip cookie mix and it is excellent, however, I don't see it on their website any longer. Maybe it's now discontinued.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:55 am 

Thanks so much for that KAF choc chip cookie mention, Alina. I'm making those today to take to a meeting tonight. Glad to have another recommended option as the one I usually make (CI's brown butter version) is definitely more time consuming and I'll be pushed.

Emilie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 am 

Alina, that recipe is such a winner. They came together so easily and were a delicious crispy/chewy chocolate/oatmeal combination! Thanks again for mentioning it!

Emilie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:42 pm 

Emilie, I am so glad you liked them. I added the butternut extract, and ground my old fashioned oats in the mini prep. I think I will try using oat bran next time so I don't have to grind the oats (twice the protein as the regular oats). I also subbed half the white for white whole wheat, used a #50 disher and baked at 325°F. convection-bake which gave me 4 two edged cookie sheets. I think I will double next time, so I can freeze half.