Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooks Illustrated = Ho Hum!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

I still get it on my iPad, but truthfully, I forget to look at it. I still check the website when looking for a recipe, but more and more I am not finding what I want. OTOH, I have been really happy with Fine Cooking, ads and all. I've made halibut the last 3 weeks all from recipes from FC and was very happy with all of them. I've never watched any of the shows as our local PBS does not air them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:50 pm 

I started getting Fine Cooking on my ipad and really love it.I think they have the most clearly written recipes and I have had good luck with them. This month has an article on using biscuit dough as a sub for pie dough that looks very interesting.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:03 pm 

I haven't received the mag in the last two years. I was sad to let my subscription drop, because the mag was such a valuable tool when I was first broadening my cooking resources. I have issues going back to Cooking Illustrated with a slick colored cover. The current iteration of the mag no longer interests me since I learn nothing new any more ....Laurie and Amy said it so well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am 

The Coconut Curry Glaze on BSCB’s is a more than serviceable recipe that fit beautifully with a standby coconut rice, black bean, and mango salsa recipe. It is the only recipe I have made from the current issue since I got it a bit late and have only been cooking from it for about a week.

It is probably and average issue with 3-4 recipes that I will make before the next issue comes out. If one of those turns out to be a keeper, so much the better.

I have Summer Pasta Putanesca on my short list as it is quick as a marinara. The oven mussel technique is intriguing, but it has been years since I have cooked mussels. The braised, shredded, and browned beef is also my list. It is different from the stews I usually make with a chuck roast and I am anxious to try it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:06 pm 

cmd2012 wrote:
OTOH I watched ATK and the tacos with pork and pineapple looked good. When did that website become paid usage only?!?
I think the current season recipies can be accessed for free, but possibly only when the season is in its first airing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:48 pm 

Don't subscribe to the magazine any more and haven't for awhile. I am convinced that cooking from ATK's recipes contributed to me & hubby putting on weight! Anyone else find that?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm 

Thanks Andrea, I knew there was something to blame :D Seriously, I think we did gain weight when I was cooking mostly from CI and CC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:52 am 

Carey, I sent you the Spicy Pork Taco recipe. I still subscribe to all of the sites so I can send recipes to anyone that wants one, just pm me!!!

It's very interesting....my friends look at me like I have three heads when I give them a recipe from Cooks. "I'm supposed to do all of that, forget it"...they are not even interested.

I am slowly trying other sources and enjoying them as well. I do really like the reviews that cooks offers and the taste tests. When I retire (IN 4 MONTHS!), I hope to have more time to work on more complex cooking.

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:09 am 

I pick it up if I see it and there's at least one recipe I will use, but lately have just been content waiting for a fairly cheap annual copy on amazon. Makes me a few years behind but I'm okay with that. My cooking style is nowhere near as sophisticated as many of you and many of my stand by dishes are CI. But I too don't need another "perfect" chicken breast recipe. My other main recipe source, as most of you know, is Canadian Living. Again, not upscale food but generally bulletproof recipes that are well written.
I leafed through a FC mag at a cottage this weekend and liked it very much as well. must try the online version as soon I get a tablet for me. The kids have way better technology then I do! (but they bought all of them)
I'm trying to limit the amount of magazines/books coming into the house.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm 

Thanks Karen! I subscribe to CI and CC (with the editors choice as I am often too lazy to look through the books I have and use the search function instead) but was not looking forward to signing up for a 3rd website membership. DH watched the episode with me and has been poking me to make them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next