Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Testing recipes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:17 am 

CI just sent me two recipes for testing! I haven't been sent a recipe to test for them in two or three years. I think it's too funny that they are sending me these after they deleted my "Lots of Angry People Poll."

Post subject: Re: Testing recipes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:38 pm 

That is so weird.....I haven't seen a recipe for testing since the first round, probably 3 years ago, too. I even forgot about it....it will be interesting to see if I get another. Maybe some of their mroe recent testers have bowed out.

So, are you going to test the recipe?
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:17 pm 

I am really intrigued by the one recipe, so I might just test it. It involves a totally new cooking technique for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm 

I'm still getting test recipes because I changed email addresses but the last 3 are so unseasonal I wasn't able to test them. Once required grilling at temps no less than 50, which is impossible in NY in January, and the others required a large amount of fresh berries. Again, not "pocketbook friendly" in these winter months.
Nancy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 am 

I'm sorry, but I have to spill the beans on a recipe that Cooks sent me to test.

Foolproof Vinaigrette

Our goal was to create a balanced vinaigrette that would evenly coat and compliment the flavor of mild, tender greens.

I don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:24 am 

I also got the vinaigrette and an upside down apple cake last week. The apple cake was good, the vinaigrette seems much like a vinaigrette. Perhaps I shall be amazed.

I haven't been able to do one in a while either. I got one right before Christmas when it was too crazy and then the fresh berry thing too and a couple grill things they said not to make if it was too cold. I don't think they look at who they send the test recipes out to though.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:54 am 

I got the Apple Cake one last week, and was not impressed. I thought the cake was heavy and the apple mixture was to sweet. Not something I would make again.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:36 pm 

I too got the Fool Proof Vinaigrette and when I responded I basically said, " you must be kidding me". Vinaigrette for a test recipe? That just about put me over the edge. I'm sorry. That IMHO is really lame for a test recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 am 

I liked the heavy cake for the apple cake but also thought the topping was a bit sweet. I invited some friends for the testing and they went nuts over it though. I saved the recipe but it wouldn't be something I would go for as first choice.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:16 pm 

I just tested the Foolproof Vinaigrette. It took 8.5 minutes from the time I grabbed a mixing bowl - not bad. It has good texture and it is pleasing to look at. However, I found it bitter (acidic) and not complimentary to the greens. My summary is that it is not worth the time given the bottled stuff that exists - it is not different enough and it has no WOW factor. I have many recipes of my own that work much better and in the same amount of time. I'm not sure how this made it through the selection process to be passed on to testers. Of course, I'm not sure how I get selected since I'm not a subscriber and they dumped me a long time ago - not that I'm acidic or anything :lol:

:o MEA CULPA (sort of) - If I can give it I should be able to take it. Having disliked this version, I had resolved to adulterate it later on that evening; so, it sat on the counter for 2 hours awaiting my tender mercies. WELL! - 2 hours later it was quite delicious and it had not separated from the whisking! Now, there was nothing in the test recipe to indicate when to serve it but my assumption was to dress the greens immediately. In that case, my criticism stands. However, if I had the time and foresight, I would make it again. I gave it 5 out of 10 and now I would raise that to 8.5.