Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Charter" issue misses the boat...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 am 

So I received an unsolicited "charter" issue from Cook's Country in my mailbox yesterday. I find it interesting that a magazine that's been published for at least 6 years still sends out charter issues. It's an undated issue and comes with a return card that I am supposed to reply to "within 7 days" and of course it has no "I didn't order this damn thing and don't want it" checkbox, only how I wish to pay for the subscription. :evil: I thought about using their reply mail card to send them a brick but I am refraining.

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again - I have never dealt with a company that is so out of touch. They obviously don't keep track of their subscribers, they employ underhanded techniques, and they have contemptuous customer service.

I don't know why they cannot keep better track of subscribers - I get both magazines' bound annuals, so you'd think they would know better than to offer me a "charter" issue...it's not like my name is Jane Smith, only about 400 people in the entire world share my last name. I've never seen another magazine send out charter issues so long after they have been published - or am I just missing something?

Anyhoo, just had to vent.

Post subject: Re: "Charter" issue misses the boat...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 am 

They are pretty relentless in their mailings. I find Consumer Reports similar.

One thing I've noticed lately, however, when I receive an unsolicited cookbook or other mailing, there's a mailing label on the website so you can mail the stuff back with no charge. I've also noticed that they changed where they handle books -- it used to be in Iowa now they're in Connecticut. So maybe they're using a new distributor, let's hope more efficient.

Whether through Facebook, Twitter or "The Feed", it seems a lot of the same old stuff with a new look, for younger cooks. One section I hadn't seen though which made me laugh was on "How to Make Your Kitchen Bigger without calling in the Contractors."

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/curious-shortcuts/2012/03/make-your-kitchen-bigger-without-calling-the-contractors/

It pictured using an ironing board to create more counter space. How many younger people actually have ironing boards?!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 am 

Darcie wrote:
So I received an unsolicited "charter" issue from Cook's Country in my mailbox yesterday.

Think positive...you now have a picture of "me" in your home... :mrgreen:

Of course...they can't tell shrimp from crawfish...but that too is another matter...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 am 

ivy wrote:
http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/curious-shortcuts/2012/03/make-your-kitchen-bigger-without-calling-the-contractors/

It pictured using an ironing board to create more counter space. How many younger people actually have ironing boards?!

True dat - I'm not that young and I don't have a full-size ironing board. That tip is horrible--first, it assumes you have somewhere to put said ironing board without tripping over it (if indeed you have one). Second, I have yet to see an ironing board that is stable - one little bump and you would 'toss your cookies'.

All those tips are lame, IMHO. Like my sink is ever cleaned out enough to put something over it. :lol: And I have no cabinets that are wide enough to fit a half-sheet pan for a pullout. That's the trouble with small kitchens - they are usually small in all areas. Plus, I can see trying to slide the half-sheet pan full of cast iron cookware, getting it just a tad too far, and causing painful foot injuries. Hmmm....maybe I can do that and sue them...8-)

Boy, I am really grumpy today. :x Must be the weather.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm 

ivy wrote:

You've got to be kidding me?

Perhaps while it's holding my dishes it can also iron my linens?! Now THAT would be awesome.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Da Bull Man wrote:

Of course...they can't tell shrimp from crawfish...but that too is another matter...

Wait ... are you shrimp, or crawfish? I don't remember. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Da Bull Man wrote:

Wait ... are you shrimp, or crawfish? I don't remember. :P

Depends...I have been known to "crawfish" tonight however...If you are what you eat...I am in Marina del Rey and about to go to a restaurant called "Killer Shrimp" gotta have the sweet potato pecan pie for dessert...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

ivy wrote:

Hey, I have an ironing board! I swiped it from those LaRouche guys gathering signatures outside Safeway.

Putting cookies on it sounds like a huge mess-in-the-making though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 pm 

Are they trying to kill people?!? All of those seem like disasters waiting to happen. In my house, the cooling rack would tip into the sink, the ironing board would come crashing down, and I'd cream myself on that open drawer. All while holding boiling liquids or sharp objects. Actually, with the exception of the ironing board, I've had all those things happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 am 

cmd2012 wrote:
Are they trying to kill people?!?

Well, they managed to kill a BB, so who knows? ;)

Amy