Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saturated fat might be OK?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

All,

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/1 ... sease-link

Can anyone find the actual study they're talking about? Multiple contradictory things have been said about it on the web, and that particular article contradicts itself several times. I'd like to know what the study *actually* found.

Post subject: Re: Saturated fat might be OK?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 pm 

A doctor column I monitor said it is from this group http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early ... 5.abstract though it is dated 2010.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Can anyone find the actual study they're talking about?
Is it worth $20 to you?

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638

Quote:
Association of Dietary, Circulating, and Supplement Fatty Acids With Coronary Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

Background: Guidelines advocate changes in fatty acid consumption to promote cardiovascular health.

Purpose: To summarize evidence about associations between fatty acids and coronary disease.

Data Sources: MEDLINE, Science Citation Index, and Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials through July 2013.

Study Selection: Prospective, observational studies and randomized, controlled trials.

Data Extraction: Investigators extracted data about study characteristics and assessed study biases.

Data Synthesis: There were 32 observational studies (512 420 participants) of fatty acids from dietary intake; 17 observational studies (25 721 participants) of fatty acid biomarkers; and 27 randomized, controlled trials (105 085 participants) of fatty acid supplementation. In observational studies, relative risks for coronary disease were 1.03 (95% CI, 0.98 to 1.07) for saturated, 1.00 (CI, 0.91 to 1.10) for monounsaturated, 0.87 (CI, 0.78 to 0.97) for long-chain ω-3 polyunsaturated, 0.98 (CI, 0.90 to 1.06) for ω-6 polyunsaturated, and 1.16 (CI, 1.06 to 1.27) for trans fatty acids when the top and bottom thirds of baseline dietary fatty acid intake were compared. Corresponding estimates for circulating fatty acids were 1.06 (CI, 0.86 to 1.30), 1.06 (CI, 0.97 to 1.17), 0.84 (CI, 0.63 to 1.11), 0.94 (CI, 0.84 to 1.06), and 1.05 (CI, 0.76 to 1.44), respectively. There was heterogeneity of the associations among individual circulating fatty acids and coronary disease. In randomized, controlled trials, relative risks for coronary disease were 0.97 (CI, 0.69 to 1.36) for α-linolenic, 0.94 (CI, 0.86 to 1.03) for long-chain ω-3 polyunsaturated, and 0.86 (CI, 0.69 to 1.07) for ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementations.

Limitation: Potential biases from preferential publication and selective reporting.

Conclusion: Current evidence does not clearly support cardiovascular guidelines that encourage high consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids and low consumption of total saturated fats.

Primary Funding Source: British Heart Foundation, Medical Research Council, Cambridge National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Centre, and Gates Cambridge.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

No, I think the summary does it! Thanks.

As one could have expected: another survey study which just shows that the issue merits further investigation, and doesn't prove any of the things alleged in the press. Except that we still don't know very much about how dietary fat and heart disease are related, apparently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:02 am 

I'm thinking to poke one of my favourite blogs -- http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org -- to have a hard look at the study. When they are off their anti-alternative crusade (not that I am against the crusade, but they are preaching to the choir), they can do excellent analysis of studies. I'd love their take on it.