Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Waco
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 am 

So far (knock on wood) we do not directly know anyone that died, we do know several that were injured, we do have friends that lost loved ones. Our Estimator / Purchasing Agents grand parents lost their house. Luckily the were in Waco buying a water heater at Home Depot or it would have been very, very, bad. A lady from our church was at the nursing home that was destroyed, she got a few stitches and was pretty shaken but now living with family and doing ok.

Many people have really been affected...it is a very sad time but these are a very resiliant small town Texas people and they as well as surrounding communities are really pulling together. Help of any kind, from any source is very appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 pm 

The pictures of the destruction are chilling. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:22 am 

The saddest story I have heard so far comes from a West businessman, he was inside his business looking thru a window as a first responder (that he knew) ran toward the fire. When the plant exploded he said he watched the responder transform into a “pink mist”…so very, very, sad. Info below if you want to contribute. I personally do not care for the Red Cross. I drove thru West yesterday en route to Memphis…unbelievable destruction.
:cry:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Friday, April 19, 2013 JJ Schmidt
(512) 522-6690
CREATED BY THE 100 CLUB OF CENTRAL TEXAS—
SPECIAL FUND ESTABLISHED TO ASSIST FIRST RESPONDERS SERVING WEST
The100 Club of Central Texas has established a special fund to assist the first responders, and their families, who suffered injury or death while protecting the residents of West, following Wednesday evening’s massive fertilizer plant explosion.
The 100 Club of Central Texas provides financial assistance, and other support, to police, fire, and emergency medical personnel, and their families, who are seriously injured or killed in the line of duty.
“While the 100 Clubexists primarily to serve the first responders of Central Texas, there are police, fire, and emergency medical personnel whose quick action and sacrifice undoubtedly saved the lives of many West residents,” said JJ Schmidt, president of the organization.
“They responded, without concern for their personal safety, to protect the citizens of West, and now many of these fire, police, and emergency medical personnel will need our help to resume—and in some cases—rebuild their lives,” Schmidt said.
According to Schmidt, a special fund has been established for individuals and businesses that want to assist first responders and their families at the West disaster. All donations will be provided to the McLennan 100 Club to disperse to those directly affected by this tragedy.
Checks should be made payable to the 100 Club of Central Texas, with the notation “West First Responder” and mailed to the 100 Club of Central Texas, 3200 SteckAvenue, Suite 240,Austin, TX 78757
Contributions can also be made on-line at http://www.100clubcentex.com, using PayPal or a credit card.
All contributions are tax-deductible.
The 100 Club of Central Texas, which in 2013 is celebrating its 30th anniversary, exists to serve the first responders of Travis, Williamson, Hays, Bastrop, and Caldwell counties.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Frank,

Will do. Never thought of Waco as "central Texas", but that seems like the right fund.

I'm a little disturbed about how the national media has completely dropped any coverage of the plant explosion. What happened? Surely investigators must have some idea by now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:19 pm 

edited -- muddled and ranting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:57 pm 

Everyone needs a good rant now and then :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 am 

One of the reasons I belong to this board is that it almost never triggers my rant mode. We never discuss video games, Philip K. Dick, or people who move to places with great natural scenery and then forget that nature comes with predators that will eat their little dog when they leave him in the yard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 am 

Are you pro-Dick or against Dick?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

JesBelle wrote:
... people who move to places with great natural scenery and then forget that nature comes with predators that will eat their little dog when they leave him in the yard.

I don't see the problem with this. Mountain Lions and Golden Eagles gotta eat too, y'know. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

Becky -- Pro-Dick once it has been turned into decent movies. That's all I can say without long diatribes about robot toads.

Fuzz -- It's not the wildlife that peeves me, it's the folks who haven't figured out that when their neighbors are raptors, their Pekingese is a snack. Then they get upset.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next