Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying seafood online
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 pm 

Can I please have some recommendations for the best places to buy frozen seafood online?
I have fallen in love with sous vide seafood. :D

Post subject: Re: Buying seafood online
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Cin,

Wait, don't you live somewhere in CA?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:45 am 

Yes. Between Redding and Eureka. I can get very good salmon and dungeness, traded for mushrooms, of course. But most everything else I have to get in Eureka. The selection is either limited, way overpriced, or inferior quality.
I would most like to find untreated scallops, king crab and black cod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 am 

I have had good luck with Trader Joe's frozen seafood if there's a store near you. Never bought any seafood online

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 am 

I've never bought any online, but our Costco in Chico has nice seafood, both fresh and frozen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm 

Google shows many sources in SF that ship by truck overnight. Would these be suitable :?: :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:25 pm 

I failed to mention I live in the middle of a national forest. No mail service, but UPS and FedEx know where to find me. It is really hard to get an overnight delivery here.

Trader Joe's is 2.5 hours away. I go to Costco a couple of times a month in Eureka. They often have nice seafood, but the lobster tails are treated and so are the scallops. Yuck.

I have purchased frozen seafood online before. I spent hours researching the many choices to find something that didn't have ridiculous prices. I was disappointed with the place I finally chose. The fish fillets were mostly odd sized tail end pieces, and they subbed the U10 scallops for a much smaller size with out asking me.

Sometimes Costco has really good King Crab you can order online.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Cin,

Oh, yeah, I suppose being between Redding and Eureka does kind of put you in the middle of Shasta-Trinity, doesn't it? How'd that happen?

The problem with buying frozen seafood online is the shipping; there's just no way to do it for a reasonable price, since it has to get to you still frozen. Like if I were to personally ship you frozen seafood, it would cost $25 to $30 on top of the cost of the fish.

Eureka doesn't have good fish markets? What about Arcata?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am 

This thread reminded me of a question I had about the seafood in my local Costco.
While every once in a while around this time of year I can maybe get fresh Dungeness in one or two grocery stores, Costco's Dungeness is always previously frozen, and I don't understand why.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Cin,

Oh, yeah, I suppose being between Redding and Eureka does kind of put you in the middle of Shasta-Trinity, doesn't it? How'd that happen?

The problem with buying frozen seafood online is the shipping; there's just no way to do it for a reasonable price, since it has to get to you still frozen. Like if I were to personally ship you frozen seafood, it would cost $25 to $30 on top of the cost of the fish.

Eureka doesn't have good fish markets? What about Arcata?

I am not in Shasta-Trinity. I am in the Six Rivers National Forest, not far from the Humboldt County Line.
I just couldn't stand the hustle and hostility of the Bay Area anymore. My husband retired and we could live wherever we wanted. We could never afford to buy a house down there. I did tons of research to find the perfect place for me, and this is it. My community has 200 people, and that is on a holiday weekend. The relationships are a lot closer here, and I fit in right away. I never felt like I belonged in the Bay Area.
And the mushroom hunting is great. :D
There is a little ranch right down the road where I get most of my produce, and lovingly raised eggs, beef, pork and lamb.
Things here really exceeded my expectations. :D

I don't expect free shipping for frozen seafood, I just want good quality without getting gouged.

Eureka really is very small. Costco is my best bet. There is a little fish market, but it is icky. There are 2 very nice markets that are similar to Whole Foods, but not as cheap. ;) .

Arcata doesn't have much except for an awesome Oyster Festival. Think tiny Berkeley with a lot more dreadlocks.

Thanks everyone for your input!