Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bacon Lovers be Warned!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:36 am 

Bad news Darcie... :o

http://www.newser.com/story/180543/pig- ... aring.html

Post subject: Re: Bacon Lovers be Warned!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:41 am 

Wow, time to get some purchasing and smoking done and fill the freezer.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 am 

Wow, I read up a bit on it, that is one nasty virus and is spreading like crazy. This struck me:

Quote:
“In a study in Iowa, the floors of over 50 different convenience stores were swabbed, and all tested positive for the PED virus,” he says. “If a person goes into the store for coffee and a roll after selling a load of hogs, they risk picking up the PED virus on their shoes, which then could infect their whole herd at home.” - See more at: http://www.agweek.com/event/article/id/ ... wRWLq.dpuf

I'm not sure which bothers me more; treating your pig farm like a clean room operation, or not treating your pig farm as a clean room operation….

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:51 pm 

I'm delighted that for once my compulsion to always have at least 6 packs of bacon in the freezer has given me a head start :D

On a related note, my brother told me recently that Consumer Reports rated Costco's Kirkland bacon the highest in a recent issue (the regular, not smoked) . I don't have any experience as far as the reliability of their food recommendations, but I thought it was interesting. I always stock up on Oscar Mayer regular and thick sliced when it's BOGO so the Kirkland wouldn't actually save me any money, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it...

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm 

I've tried it. I like Maple Leaf (likely not available in the US...) more. My local chain has a traditional dry cured I like much better, though it is so smokey you have to cut quantities in half in recipes. I'll give you though, the Kirkland is decent. Maybe US bacon is in poor shape?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm 

Kirkland is my go to bacon. I also pick up TJ's applewood when that is what's recommended for a dish. But for regular bacon I think Kirkland is really good. I like that their packages are full pounds as opposed to some of the brands that do 12 oz.

DH also always has the Kirkland precooked on hand. He likes it, I prefer to cook mine from scratch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:02 pm 

Lots of room in the chest freezer...I know what I'll be filling it with.

Paul, it's amazing how many precautions pig farmers must take. PRRS (a respiratory virus) is also so virulent in the air that pig farmers put filters on their barn ventilation systems lest the virus waft over from another farm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 pm 

I like the Kirkland although, like Paul, I like Maple Leaf better, but I haven't seen a sale on it in forever. And now likely won't for a while I guess.
I cooked all 4 pounds of Kirkland bacon the other day, saved the fat for the first time in my life (for roast potatoes, not sure what else) , and layered the cooked bacon in tupperware for the freezer. Now when the teenagers come home they can nuke a piece or 12.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 am 

I save the bacon fat for all sorts of things. I always put a heaping TBS. of it when I cook white rice. I've also used it to coat my pan and tins for Yorkshire pudding or popovers, add a bit to a non-stick pan for scrambled eggs, etc. I like bacon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 am 

Thanks -- I'm glad to know Kirkland is a good sub. And FWIW, bacon grease freezes really well. When I'm cooking up a big batch of bacon, I'll strain the grease into one of my silicone ice cube trays and then freeze and pop out into a zipper storage bag. Then it's right there whenever you need some. I always use it when I'm sauteing onions for green beans. But there is definitely a limit -- once I sauteed onions in it for chicken noodle soup, and the soup definitely had a funky taste to it. But that's about the only time it hasn't made everything better!

Emilie