Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SweeTango Apples
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:57 pm 

Color me happy!!!

Andy has been in NY for the last six weeks, and will be for six more. He's currently up in lower Orange County, and tonight told me "Apple Fest" is happening weekend after next. He said he can get whatever I want, and he'll get it shipped out.

Northern Spies here Andy comes!!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 pm 

Making my annual trek to the Garlic Festival in Saugerties, NY this Saturday and there are always some interresting local apples. I'll keep my eyes open for unusual varieties. I do love Jona Gold and Northern Spy. My pies are usually a combo of both with a Granny Smith or 2 too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 pm 

I love the garlic festival!! Have a blast.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am 

Congrats, Amy! And to the OP, SweeTango is probably the best-tasting apple I've had. Deeeeeeelicious. And yes, it's expensive. It's grown a lot around these parts so maybe it's less expensive than other areas, but still usually 1.5x the price of Honey Crisp, another great variety. I still like Washington State Pink Lady apples, but their quality has seemingly gone down in those the past few years, so I stick with the local varieties.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Congrats, Amy! And to the OP, SweeTango is probably the best-tasting apple I've had. Deeeeeeelicious. And yes, it's expensive. It's grown a lot around these parts so maybe it's less expensive than other areas, but still usually 1.5x the price of Honey Crisp, another great variety. I still like Washington State Pink Lady apples, but their quality has seemingly gone down in those the past few years, so I stick with the local varieties.

I love love love Pink Lady Apples, but I agree, the quality has diminished over the past few years. I used to find the local NC ones in my health food store, but haven't seen them around for the past several years - they were the best apples I've ever eaten.
I'll have to check out the SweeTango.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 pm 

Shortly after seeing this thread I found SweeTango apples in my grocery store. At $3 a pound I only bought one, and it was quite tasty. What little stock they had was bruised, but I am not sure that is because the fruit doesn't hold up to shipping or if I found the dregs of the shipment.

It was the most expensive apple in the store by far. Good, but probably not good enough for me to purchase regularly at that price.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:04 pm 

I passed on Empires Saturday even though they are an extremely useful apple. I did pick Northern Spie, Cortland, Jonagold, MacIntosh, and Snapdragons.

The quality and quantity of this years crop of New York State apples is outstanding.

Cornell research orchard seeks the perfect apple

SnapDragon and RubyFrost are new apple varieties

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm 

Jim,

How much did you pick?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:48 am 

I have a bit of 30 pounds of apples from last weekend and may pick some more when we go out for concord grapes on Sunday to make grape bread.

As soon as my taste buds recover from zinc therapy, I will do a couple of tests and determine a blend. From tasting the apples raw, I believe equal portions of the four baking apples I have will make great pies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 am 

Jim,

Do you make apple butter - I'm curious which apples you would recommend for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next