Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: igourmet.com
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:22 pm 

Has anyone bought from igourmet.com? I love ricotta salata and no one in Chico has it. I found it here and it says it will be free overnight with ShopRunner (which I have free for another year). When I got it last, I food savered it and put it in the coldest part of the fridge and it was good for a very long time.

So if anyone has shopped there, any must have items? Anything bad?TIA

Post subject: Re: igourmet.com
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 am 

I've not ordered from them, but am just about to...they have Minus 8 vinegar, which I've been dying to try.

After your reference to ShopRunner, I googled a coupon for it and now have free 2-day shipping from a number of sites for at least 120 days.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Alina, Amy,

My father subscribed me to one of their Of-the-month-clubs. One of their staff stole my dad's CC number from it. They were very apologetic and gave my dad a gift to compensate, but they didn't impress me as particularly well-run.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 pm 

Josh,

That sucks, but as I've already ordered, I guess I'll live and learn, won't I.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm 

Thanks Josh. I guess this will force me to learn how to use the one time card feature offered by my credit card. It is the only place I can find the ricotta salata at a reasonable price.

Amy, next time I get the offer for free year of ShopRunner, I'll send you the link (this is my second year on a free year :D ). It's a great addition to Amazon Prime. What is special about that vinegar?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 pm 

Thanks Alina!

Minus 8 is basically the ice wine of vinegars. It's named for the temp at which they harvest the grapes. I adore ice wine and the way it changes the flavor of its complements, e.g., lemon. Can't wait to try this both as a drizzle and as a base.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Alina,

Huh. $7/lbs? That's a pretty darned good price, aside from the shipping. It's $9/lbs at my local market

I'd recommend getting the full pound. If you vac-pac it, or wrap it in cheese paper, ricotta salata keeps for a month in the fridge.

Amy,

Tell me how it is. Not that I need more vinegars around the house ...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:38 am 

That is what I thought and with free overnight shipping its a no brainer. It keeps longer than months, I think mine lasted a year plus. Will place order later tonight.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:29 am 

http://www.minus8vinegar.com/

A Canadian company, it appears there is less secret to this operation than implied by iGourmet. The product seems to be readily available to chefs, wholesalers, restaurants, and retailers. You can easily create an account. The product is available in a 100mml, 200ml, 1 liter, and 4 liter containers but in a variety of packs that is not easily figured out: singles, 2 packs, 6 packs, 12 packs, cartons, but not every size is available in every configuration, Whatever, it is doable.

Pricing is in Yankee-Doodle dollars and shipping is quick but expensive.They are pre-releasing a new product:
Quote:
190 BOTTLES OF NEW ‘N8TIVE’ VINEGAR BY MINUS 8 ARE RELEASED TO CHEFS
100% Concord Grape Vinegar is ready after Two Years in R&D

March, 2013 Ontario, Canada - Minus 8, producers of vinegars and verjus since 1997, made 100% Concord grape vinegar in November 2012. Concord is a blue grape native to North America; combine that with the trademark and obligatory ‘8’, and the name ‘N8tive’ has to be. 22 gallons of N8tive were put into 190 16.9 oz bottles for select chefs in the USA, Canada and the UK who have been loyal customers of Minus 8.

22 gallons may not sound like much, but to the people working on this project, it is an amount to celebrate. For over two years the Minus 8 winemaker and viticulturalists have been researching and developing methods to produce this vinegar. Historically, the fermentation of Concord grape juice produces a foxy, disagreeable taste. The challenge was to avoid the foxy taste, and keep the fresh Concord taste. N8tive vinegar captures the essence of the natural taste of fresh Concord grape juice without any of the foxiness.

This project holds special interest to the winemaker because the Concord variety is a local grape. He grew up drinking the best tasting fresh juice that his Mom pressed from their grapes every summer. The great flavour is being imitated in many products from gelatin to juice blends. He aimed to bring back the true and original Concord grape flavour that he remembers, and like with all his products, put it in the hands of the great chefs who will put it to the best use.

Bryan Voltaggio was among the first chefs to use N8tive vinegar on his Volt menu item “roasted sunchokes, charred spring garlic, raisins smoked with applewood stewed with canella bark, wild watercress dressed with vinegar from concord grapes.’’ Chef Anthony Bucco at The Ryland Inn, NJ served Elevage foie gras with N8tive poached pear and onion marmalade at The Minus 8 Feast in March. N8tive has been met with excitement and requests for more from chefs. A full commercial production of N8tive vinegar is planned for November 2013.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 am 

So I placed my order, 1 lb. ricotta salata, 4 oz. Black Kassel Salami and a jar of Ligonberry preserves all $25.96. Should be here Wednesday. I was tempted to buy some Raclette as well since lately several recipes have called for it. Thought I'd better taste it first and try to learn more about it.

I used my one time card, it was so easy, glad to have learned how.

The prices seemed very reasonable. if the quality matches I may go back and order some more cold cuts. I love chef type salads with great meats and cheeses and my own thousand island dressing in the summer.