Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OK, now what do I do with it?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:10 am 

Bijol does not really duplicate the saffron flavor, but it does have a unique flavor all its own that is unmistakable in Cuban dishes. Founded in 1922 in Cuba, BIJOL is among the leading companies producing the best and most popular brands of condiments, spices and seasonings used in gourmet cuisine worldwide. The founder of BIJOL, Rafael Martinez, carefully crafted the ingenious formula for BIJOL’s number one product, the BIJOL CONDIMENT. This condiment is widely used in Latin America, the Caribbean and the Philippines. The BIJOL CONDIMENT is made from a mixture of corn flour, annatto, ground cumin, and color. This condiment was introduced in the United States and the Caribbean in 1942. The Bijol Condiment and Spices Company began operations in Miami, Florida in 1962.

Here's are some recipes that use it. Below is one of mine:

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ARROZ CON MAIZ*****

Can use 2 cups of frozen corn with 2 cans of corn including liquid. Can use all water, all chicken broth or combination. Total liquid will vary just follow tthe first knuckle rule for fluffy rice. Great flavor, rice is tender but corn is not mushy.

Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

3 cups long grain rice
2 TBS. olive oil
1 large onion (Spanish if possible)
1 green bell pepper
1 TBS. kosher salt divided
3 cloves garlic
3 TBS. tomato sauce
¼ tsp. ground cumin
2 tsps. Bijol
2 tsp. Sunny Spain Seasoning (Tellicherry black pepper, citric acid, lemon peel powder, garlic and onion.)
1 cup dry white sherry
14 oz. chicken broth (can sub vegetable)
1¼ cup water
2 cups frozen corn (original used fresh, I'm lazy)

Measure rice, then rinse in 5 qt. heavy pot (non-stick nice but not necessary), rubbing rice between hand until water is clear. Drain and transfer rice back to measuring cup. Use paper towel to dry pot.

In the now dry pot, heat olive oil, then add onions and green pepper, and 1½ tsps. kosher salt and sauté until onions are soft, then add garlic, mixed spices and tomato sauce and cook for 2 more minutes. Check the seasoning and correct if needed. Can be done in microwave by cooking onions, garlic and oil on high for 2 minutes, then adding green pepper, spices, tomato sauce and continue cooking on medium for 2 more minutes.

Add rice to sautéed vegetables and stir for 1 minute. Combine wine (mixed with corn liquid if using canned corn, should have 1½ cups,)with chicken broth and add to pot. Then add water until total amount is to top of first knuckle, about 4½ cups. Add corn, remaining 1½ tsps. kosher salt, stir and cook on high until liquid starts to boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Check for doneness and continue cooking for another 10 minutes if needed. Let rice rest covered for at least 10 more minutes or longer if needed.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, BEST, Corn, Cuban Food, Grandma Hilia, Rice, Side Dish

Author: ALINA

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:12 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
I don't use as I have a container of Bijol that will outlive me.

hahahaha! This is so true. I have a little teeny container of Bijol that seems to be never ending. I use it regularly and it never seems to get lighter.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 pm 

I have a mexican chicken marinade recipe that uses it. If interested, I could look it up. Iirc it was ok, but nothing outstanding.

I found it online, so here it is:

Marinade
1/3 cup achiote paste
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice (Frozen just OK, fresh is much better)
2 tablespoons finely diced yellow onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 bay leaf

Spice Rub
1/4 cup paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano

Fajitas
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions:

Place all marinade ingredients except bay leaf in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.

Add bay leaf and reserve.

Mix spice rub ingredients.

Wash chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels.

Transfer 2 TBS of the spice rub to a small bowl. Rub the breasts on both sides with the spice rub. Save remaining spice rub in an airtight container.

Put the coated breasts in a plastic bag and pour in the reserved marinade. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Prepare an outdoor grill or grill pan. Spray the grill or pan with cooking spray.

Grill the breasts until cooked through.

Serve with sauteed green, red, and yellow peppers and white onions seasoned before cooking with one TBS of the spice rub.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for all the advice!

Now, if only I can find an achiote paste recipe which doesn't involve meat ...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 pm 

Josh,

If you can get your hands on a copy of Mayan Cooking, by Cherry Hamman, you will find a number of recipes using vegetables, as well as fish, and recado colorado, the basic paste. At first, when scanning the recipes, all I saw was recipes with pork, but in the soups and stews section, there were many recipes with beans, and one with pumpkin, and then several in the seafood section, many of which have sauces using juice from sour oranges.

I only made some of the meat and poultry dishes, but I'm sure the other recipes will be just as good.