Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spices!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 am 

We don't have Penzey's in Canada so I stock up in Buffalo or send Chris when he's on the road. Extras of those go in the freezer. I don't have much that I don't use on a regular basis, other than cracked anise which only gets used for biscotti. I like some blends (sandwich sprinke, fox point, bbq 3000 and chili con carne) but otherwise just add what I need. Having said that I don't make a whole lot of Thai or curry based foods, although I have a powdered curry blend for the ATK pineapple chicken which I haven't made in forever. I too have wasabi powder thinking that we'd use that when we have sushi but have never even cracked open the jar.
I once searched for quite a while for black mission figs for a recipe then could not find the recipe when I found the figs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 am 

Actually, our favorite combo spice from Penzey's is their ADOBO. It is a wonderful flavor enhancement, like a seasoned salt with a lower sodium and paprika content. It is nothing like Mexican adobo.

Josh, I'd love to see your Creole seasoning recipe.

We use the black Sarawak peppercorns exclusively, frequently coupled with white Sarawak peppercorns. They are not as bold as tellecherry, winey and flavorful. We prefer the sharpness of the white Sarawaks. Kalustyan's price is quite modest.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 am 

Love hearing about everyone's spices. I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes from the only Penzey's in Massachusetts so I will confess a love for Penzey's, as evidenced by my spice shelf. For Christmas one year, my daughter bought all these jars at Penzey's and labeled all my spices so I thought I'd show it to you. I do love Penzey's Fajita and BBQ 3000 mix.

All that being said, on the Cape recently I ran across some mixes from the "Teeny Tiny Spice Company of Vermont" and bought some Persian Adwiya that produces that best aromas and an interesting floral taste (first ingredient is rose petals). I also really loved the idea of being on the Cape buying a Persian spice mix from a Vermont store - fusion cuisine at its best:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 pm 

Fuzzy,

I just saw something else I have used ajwain in several times - flatbreads. I have used it in several recipes with different flours, and one really good one with cornmeal. It seems I saw those seeds in many of those Indian flatbreads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm 

Duplicate :?:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Alina,

So Penzey's wasabi is [expletive deleted]. I wouldn't bother keeping it around. Their zatar is also kind of a poor man's mix, heavy on the sumac and with very little (if any) ME thyme (also, confusingly, called zatar) in it. A good ME zatar mix (which Penzey's is not) is a terrific thing on its own, mixed with either olive oil or labne, as a topping on flatbread or even toast. Tommorrow's breakfast for me will be toasted whole wheat bread, labne, zatar and sliced tomato. Love it!

Fitze,

Socca crepes? Recipe?

Tim,

This is from Tom Fitzmorris' New Orleans Food, with tinkering by yours truly:

1 Tbs dried granulated onion
1 Tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbs black peppercorns
1 Tbs sweet paprika
1/4 to 1 tsp cayenne, depending on your taste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp yellow mustard powder
1 bay leaf, dried or toasted

Grind the bay leaf and peppercorns in a spice grinder. Add the rest of the spices, and grind into a powder. Store with a dessicant; good for 3-6 months.

Note that it has no salt, which you add separately. This is what keeps me away from most "spice" mixes: that they are 60% salt by weight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:24 am 

Socca, as I'm sure you know, is Mediterranean street food. I use a recipe from 1999 Bon Appetit.

Socca
2 cups chickpea flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cumin
2 cups water
1/2 cup plus 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Preheat broiler. Combine flour, salt & cumin in blender. Gradually blend in 2 cups water and 1/2 cup oil. Blend until very smooth, about 1 minute.

Heat 3 Tbsp oil over high heat in a non-stick 12" broilerproof skillet. Swirl to coat. Pour 1 cup batter into skillet. Cook over high heat until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer skillet to broiler and cook until pancake is brown and crisp around the edges, watching closely. Slide pancake onto baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining oil and batter in 2 more batches. Using a large spoon, cut pancakes into irregular pieces, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Serve warm.

Socca Crepes from Martha Rose Shulman
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup sifted chickpea flour
2 Tablespoons sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Whisk together eggs, milk and olive oil. Slowly add flours & salt. Blend or whisk for 1 minute. Set aside for 30 minutes.

Heat crepe pan over medium heat & brush lightly with butter or oil. Ladle in 2 T batter per crepe. Should sizzle when it hits the pan. Tilt pan to distribute evenly and cook on first side for about 1 minute. Turn crepe and brown on other side for about 30 seconds. Makes ab out 12 6" crepes.

Fill with ratatouille & goat cheese or tomato/basil salad.

fitzie
fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:55 am 

Thanks Josh for the Wasabi and Zatar info., and thanks for the Creole mix. Copied to m LC. Which oregano Mexican or Turkish, btw?

I tend to buy the Penzeys mixes that don't have salt. Lately, they have been offering several with and without salt. My go to one when I am lazy is Mural of Flavor which has no salt. DH does like the Smoky 4S special seasoned salt though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Alina,

Lemon. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm 

I didn't forget you Fuzzy...

Yogurt with spinach and cloves
Saag ka dahi
(from Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian)
2Tb plus 1 tsp peanut, corn or olive oil
1 small stick (2.5cm/1 in) cinnamon
4 whole cardamom pods
8 cloves
1 small onion total weight 60gm (2 oz) peeled and cut into fine half rings
1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and very finely grated.
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed to a pulp
285 gm (10 oz) spinach, tough stalks trimmed, washed, drained and coarsely chopped
3/4 tsp salt
475 ml (16 floz) or 500 gm (1 lb) natural yogurt
Freshly ground black pepper
A large pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 Tb any long grain rice (raw)

Put the 2 Tb of the oil in a large, wide, preferably non-stick frying pan or sauté pan and set over medium-high heat. When very hot, put in the cinnamon, cardamom and just 4 of the cloves. The spices will sizzle and expand in a matter of seconds.Quickly put in the onion. Stir and fry until the onion begins to brown at the edges, about 3 minutes. Now put in the ginger and garlic. Stir once or twice. Add the spinach and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Stir and cook the spinach for about 3-4 minutes, or until it has wilted completely and is tender. Once the spinach is done, turn off the heat. Pick out all the whole spices and discard them.

Put the yogurt in a bowl. Beat lightly with a fork until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper and cayenne. Mix again.

Put the rice in a small, preferably cast-iron frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Stir the rice until it is reddish in color, about 4 minutes. Remove an dcoool. Now grind the rice to a fine powder in a clean coffee grinder or other spice grinder. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon of this rice powder to the yogurt and mix it in. Also add the contents of the spinach pan. Mix well.

Put the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan and set over medium high heat. When hot, put in the remaining 4 cloves. They will sizzle and expand. Now pour the contents of the pan evenly over the yogurt. Do not stir. Since the yogurt may be served at room temperature or chilled, you may cover and refrigerate it at this point. Just before serving, remove the cloves and mix the clove scented -oil into the yogurt. Serves 4-6

Mary