Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FC white chocolate cookie recipe
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 pm 

New topic to avoid further highjack of the other thread. I like the FC better than the C@H. Here's the recipe I make so you can compare. Please let me know how you like them if you decide to make them. They freeze and travel beautifully.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CRANBERRY OATMEAL WHITE CHOCOLATE JUMBLES*****

These chewy cookies can be made a variety of sizes. I prefer the ones made with a #40 disher. I prefer the orange flavored cranberries (TJ's are great) for this cookie. They go really well with the white chocolate. You can omit the white chocolate from this recipe and double the amount of dried cranberries instead. For the best results, measure your flour by weight instead of volume. (1 cup of all-purpose flour equals 4-½ oz.) If you don’t have a scale, be sure to aerate and spoon into measuring cups. These cookies really benefit from the use of the SideSwipe blade for the KA. Use clean fingers to take dough of the blade, it is much faster than the spatula.

Oven Temperature: 325°F

Servings: 8 Yield: 24 small or 16-18 large cookies

Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 16 minutes Inactive Time: 36 hours

6 oz. (¾ cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
1 TBS. light corn syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
6¾ oz. (1½ cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 oz. (¼cup) cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. table salt
½ cup sweetened dried orange flavored cranberries (or regular)
½ cup rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick-cooking)
½ cup pecan pieces (or coarsely chopped pecan halves), lightly toasted
½ cup sweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted (microwave for 1½-2 minutes)
3½ oz. good-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped or Ghirardelli chips

Preheat oven temperature to 325°F regular or convection.

Lightly toast the coconut by placing it on a paper plate in the microwave for 1½ , check for doneness and put back for 15-30 seconds if not done. If using pecan halves, toast first then chop. Toast the pecans on a paper plate in the microwave for 1 minutes. Take out, turn the pecans over and put back in for another minute. If not done put back in 30 more seconds, check, turn and repeat if necessary.

Position two racks near the center of the oven and line three baking sheets with parchment. Reduce baking time if using convection.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the SideSwipe preferably or the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl if using regular blade. Add the egg, corn syrup, and vanilla; beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Mix in half the all-purpose flour on low speed until thoroughly combined, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scrape the bowl. Briefly mix in the remaining half of the all-purpose flour. Sprinkle the cake flour, baking soda, and salt into the bowl and beat on low speed until well blended, 30 seconds to 1 minute. With a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula, stir in the cranberries, oats, pecans, coconut, and white chocolate.

Put dough in the refrigerator for up to 36 hours for deeper taste. Bring to close to room temp. for easier scooping.

Use a disher #40 to make medium cookies or a small to make them the size of apricots, then flatten them to be about 3" (2" for small ones). Can be made into large cookies by using your fingertips to shape 2-oz. pieces of dough (about a scant ¼ cup) into 2-inch-diameter disks that are ½ inch thick, flattened to 4" rounds. Space them about 1½-2 inches apart (min. of 2" for large) on the parchment-lined sheets. Bake until the cookies’ edges and bottoms are golden and the centers feel dry on the surface but still soft inside, 9 (8 to 10) for smaller, 15 to 16 minutes for large ones. I using a regular oven, when baking two pans of cookies at once, switch the position of the pans halfway for even browning (not necessary for convection). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for at least 1 minute before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. These cookies will keep for three or four days at room temperature or for several weeks in the freezer.

Recipe Type: Coconut, Cookies, Desserts, Dried Cranberries, Fine Cooking, Oats, Pecans, White Chocolate

Author: Adapted recipe
Source: Fine Cooking 74, pp. 73 November 1, 2005
Web Page: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/jumb ... okies.aspx

Post subject: Re: FC white chocolate cookie recipe
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 am 

Alina,

Here's another really good sounding recipe I found recently with white chips: white bar ccookies with cardamom and white chocolate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:59 am 

Thanks Dave, it does look good. I have copied it to my LC. It does not specify, but I am thinking unsweetened coconut instead of regular supermarket sweetened.

PS, the recipe for the pakoras with the chutney was also very interesting. I've never made pakoras, but you know Cubans and fried food!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 am 

Thanks Dave, it does look good. I have copied it to my LC. It does not specify, but I am thinking unsweetened coconut instead of regular supermarket sweetened.

PS, the recipe for the pakoras with the chutney was also very interesting. I've never made pakoras, but you know Cubans and fried food!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 am 

I was guessing unsweetened coconut, too, since it was to be processed to crumbs.

I didn't browse all of the recipes, but I did see a lot of legume recipes that sounded good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 am 

Alina, I made these and they are sooooo good. The addition of coconut definitely took them to another level compared to the CAH oatmeal/cranberry/white choc recipe I'd been using. I doubled the recipe and froze all but 10 or so dough balls. Those I baked at the time and figured out that they definitely need to be taken out of the oven while they still look underbaked. I baked the rest of them this past Monday for the college kids I cook for. They loved them. And I ate about 6. Seriously. Thanks for another great recipe!

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm 

Emilie, I am so glad you liked them. Despite my best efforts, I tend to change even good recipes, sometimes each time I make them. This one, I made the changes after the first time, but have left it alone after that. I need to make some, it is so nice to have them in the freezer and pull them out a couple at a time. If I do more, I eat them all, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm 

I really like fine cooking magazine. Great recipes! I may try these with Dave's white chocolate recommendations :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 am 

I have been using more recipes from FC lately than any other magazine. I get their daily emails and find recipes I either missed or didn't look good at the time but do now. I got the archive cd and am giving away all my hard copies . I was able to put the cd on my computers and download the yearly index from their website. The issues are on pdfs, so I can copy and paste to Living Cookbook or do an internal search for recipes. I still get the print because it gives you digital for free and a huge break on the website. Just the create your own recipe wizards are worth it.