Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: White Chocolate taste test
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 am 

So I'm not the only one who hated Valrhona! Actually, way back when I did my taste test of cocoas it was more or less flavorless, despite being the darkest. Obviously, their quality control is not good - maybe some of those batches that chefs tout really are good, and we just happen to get the bad lots! LOL Or they have totally different products for wholesale and retail. Whatever it is, I am certainly never buying it again.

Through the years KAF has jumped around from one cocoa to another - they have had a few really bad ones, and they used to have my favorite non-dutched brand -Merckens - but they stopped carrying it, even though they still sell Merckens chcolate. SOW, I tried their Merckens white chocolate years ago, and it was pretty good, though I was not comparing it side by side with anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am 

For some reason, I worry about running out of cocoa much more than other kinds of chocolate. Without realizing I've been ordering without checking what I had. So I have both Penzey's and KAF natural. I had Scharffen Berger but finally ran out. I also have Penzey's dutch, Droste Dutch and Rodelle from Costco; then KAF Dark cocoa and their new blend. Don't think I'll need cocoa for a while.

Dave, have you seen that KAF has Guittard in the minis? I love minis for my finally perfected chocolate chip cookies (I am the weirdo that likes them flat and chewy at the same time, almost underbaked) since I make smaller cookies in those.

Emilie, do you mean the FC Cranberry, Oatmeal, While Chocolate Jumbles that also have coconut. I love those and always freeze half (DH says I am really just bogarting them since he never can find anything in the second fridge freezer).

Sorry about the continued hijack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 am 

I am a big El Rey white chocolate fan, but I never it it by itself. The taste is awesome in baked goods and mousses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 am 

Alina, I was referring to the CAH recipe. Coconut sounds like an amazing addition -- I'm going to make them (probably half-size) this weekend. Did you go by the add-in amounts in the recipe? A few of the reviews said they put in more of the cranberries, etc. than it calls for.

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 am 

Alina,

I also have large amounts of cocoa, mainly because I buy brands to sample, and when I don't like them as much, they sit there; I can't bring myself to throw them out, yet I can't use them in dishes in which that is the number one flavor. I use them in things in which it is a background flavor, as in some mole like dishes that used cocoa instead of chocolate, and I have used almost all of that valrhona in pumpernickel bread! And now I have another pound, as I got that Guittard, which, fortunately, seems like one of the better ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm 

Okay, so now to hijack the thread a little further to semi-sweet chocolate (sorry Dave!). Has anyone ever used Peter's Burgundy Semisweet? I'd never heard of it but happened to see it at the KAF site tonight and it's got almost 40 seriously glowing five-star reviews. And one of the reviews mentioned that Baker's Cash and Carry sells it for $45 for a 10 pound block. KAF's price is $12.95 for one pound of chunks. So I'm interested to hear any opinions, and also if anyone has ordered before from BC&C. It looks like a pretty large supplier and although I don't know what the shipping would be, $4.50 a pound seems like a great deal.

Emilie

http://www.bakerscandc.com/peters-burgundy-10-brick.html

[url]http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/peters-burgundy-semisweet-chocolate-chunks-16-oz#1651#[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

Emilie wrote:
Okay, so now to hijack the thread a little further to semi-sweet chocolate (sorry Dave!). Has anyone ever used Peter's Burgundy Semisweet? I'd never heard of it but happened to see it at the KAF site tonight and it's got almost 40 seriously glowing five-star reviews...
Emilie

I'm surprised to see it contains vanillin instead of pure vanilla extract. Other than that, it sounds good:
http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/product ... olate-50lb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm 

Emilie, I started a new thread with the recipe to avoid further hijack.

I basically use Guittard chips (can't find bars here or would use those), Ghirardelli and TJ's. I once tried a sampler from KAF and didn't like any of those included any better.

I tend to judge chocolate by how sweet it isn't if that makes sense. I loved dark chocolate before it was in vogue and have always been annoyed that I can't get almond joys with dark chocolate so I had Mounds. It is not about the nut, it is about the chocolate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am 

Emile,

I have never heard of that brand - Peters - but I wonder what would make a 49% chocolate, with artificial vanilla, worth $5.00 more than some well known brands with 53% and 54% solids? And, for the most part, I rarely buy chocolate with less than 60% solids.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:06 pm 

Hi Emilie,
I actually had bought some because my favorite chocolatier in NYC uses Peter's for their non pareils. I wasn't impressed by the chunks, but that's just me. I wonder if anyone else tried these.
Nancy