Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lard?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 pm 

I'd like to try using lard in a few recipes for baked goods that mention it. Apparently lard was given a bum rap back in the day and it's really not as bad, health-wise, as commonly thought. (Although the saying "tub of lard" had to come from somewhere :D)

I've asked around at the stores in my area (Kroger, Martin's, Whole Foods, Wal-Mart) and no one carries it. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it and where it's available.

Thanks!

Emilie

Post subject: Re: Lard?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm 

I use it. I got my last bunch from a Mennonite couple at the farmer's market. Their butcher won't separate the leaf from the back fat, so it's too piggy for sweet food. Also, I had to render it myself, not that it's rocket science or anything. It makes excellent biscuits and pie crusts for savory pies.

If you do find a grocery that carries it, it is unlikely to be at all healthy since it will come from conventionally grown pigs with all of the excessive Omega-6 fatty acids that come with them and it's almost certainly going to be hydrogenated. A big part of the reason that lard, tallow, coconut oil and the other saturated fats got such a "bum rap" is because the hydrogenated versions were the ones used for clinical trials.

I seem to remember that Amy once posted a link to the place she gets leaf lard from.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:18 pm 

You can order it from Dietrich's. By far the best price I've found, and they are a quality market. (I've been to their store...used to stop by there on my way through PA.) As I recall, you need to call them to order it. I bought two huge tubs last year, so I'm set for a while. Thank God for three freezers...

I adore leaf lard. I just made an apple pie with a half leaf lard/half butter crust. Nothing better.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm 

Hi,

You should ask your butchr if you have a state regulated meat packer that breaks down hogs in your community. These are really not hard to find. You can call them and ask them for some kidney fat or similar organ fat. (The organ fat is quite different from hard skeletal fat)

You'll be shocked at how little it will cost. Chop it into cubes and run it through a food processor with some water just to break it up. Then bring it to a simmer to completely melt. Let sit for a time. The impurities drop to the bottom, the water stays in the middle and the leaf lard rises to the top.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 pm 

Tim,

In theory I agree, however I live in pig and cattle country, and I've yet to find a purveyor or rancher who seem to understand the value of it. Hence why I order it from Dietrich's.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:22 pm 

If you have any Mexican grocers around you, check them out. They carry lard in the ones around here, and it is very good. Not the type you would want to use in a pie crust for a sweet pie, as it usually has a strong flavor, like that rendered from cicharones turned fairly dark. Great flavor for tamales, and other savory dishes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm 

In San Francisco, the Ferry Building has a place that carries rendered leaf lard. Prather's farm. Great hot dogs too.
Nancy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:55 pm 

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm in Virginia so will give Dietrich's a call. A piecrust with leaf lard is definitely calling my name now!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm 

I buy Tenderflake, although it is hydrogenated IIRC. So I only use it for the one or two times a year I make pie.

Edit: I double checked. It's not hydrogenated. It's also sold everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:17 pm 

Emilie,

I highly recommend Kenji's pie crust recipe. Although I use half and half on leaf lard and butter.

Amy