Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Penzey's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 am 

I thought this was a topic here but couldn't find it. Apologies if I am repeating something.

I bought a few new blends on my last U.S. visit and am just starting to try them out. Last night I used Bangkok Blend for the first time (a Thai mixture). At first I was a bit disappointed, as the Indian blends kick butt and this seemed a bit bland. I put some into a dipping sauce and it was rather nice (although I had to kick up the heat). This morning I mixed it into egg and a bit of sesame oil to scramble with leftover bits from yesterdays dinner and I really liked that. My husband was not as enthused, he said it deviated too far from omelet. It is recommended as a rub for poultry so I will try that next. Have any of you used it? Thoughts?

Mary

Post subject: Re: Penzey's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Mary,

No, I never buy the blends. Most of them are primarily salt, and I prefer mixing my own spices anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 am 

No salt in most of the ones I bought. They have a large choice for salt free mixes. I never used to buy them but these are very good and great for daily cooking.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Mary,

Well, given that the Bangcock one is a bust, which ones do you like?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:12 pm 

It wasn't a bust, just not a sub for Thai curry paste. I love the Balti, Rogan Josh and Vindaloo. I used to use Sharwood's pastes for fast curries, but these are much better. I bought some Zatar (sp?) seasoning that I tried on a veggie stew and it was very good too. I also love the Chili 3000 (or some thousand). I also really like Foxwood and the Sandwich Sprinkle but they do have salt.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

I was considering getting some zatar from Penzey's now that I've lost my source (Alhana -- sob). I got a free jar of the Chili 3000 when they introduced it, but found it pretty much tasteless and threw it away.

The sandwich sprinkle is actually a perfect mix for home-made croutons. Cube stale bread, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with sandwich sprinkle, toast at 425 for ~~ 10min. Sadly, though, sandwich sprinkle is hydrophilic, so I can't keep it around. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:45 pm 

Just looked, I have the 9000. Love the sprinkle for croutons. Could you freeze it?

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:13 pm 

Mary,

I always just up the heat with some sirracha or cayenne when I'm using those blends. I like their flavour, but they don't pack much heat (except for the hot curry powder).

I've been happy with the grilling blends - Chicago steak spice, Galena street rub, and the like. Makes for quick weeknight grilled steak, chops or chicken.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

I don't know that that would help much; we have a tiny freezer and stuff in there tends to get a fair bit of frosting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 pm 

It does have salt, but DH loves the smoked seasoned sea salt. We also love Mural of Flavor, Herbes de Provence, Sunny Spain, and Sunny Paris, all salt free (latter is salt-free version of Fox Point). We use the mixes to sprinkle of sautéed veggies, flour/bread crumbs for dredging, etc. Since it is just the two of us, it is hard to use a bit of the individual ones and not overseason. For bigger quantities, I always use the individual herbs and spices. Though we have a nice herb garden this year (basil both Italian and Thai, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, mint, garlic and regular chives, tarragon, dill, oregano, chamomile and lavender), I like using ground with the dry ingredients and then adding fresh at the end. I do keep my extra in the freezer in Ziploc bags if unopened and Food savered if opened.