Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fresh pork - bought 1/2 pig today
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 am 

:o will be looking for recipies for fresh pork. From what I've read you can use recipies for shoulder (we have lots) fresh ham ( also lots) & tenderloin interchangeably. Different cooking times. Any recommendations?

Bought a lamb last weekend. Freezer is full - no more protein!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: fresh pork - bought 1/2 pig today
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 pm 

I envy you. I'd love to have half a pig even more than a cow. I basically use interchangeably the cuts with lots of fat but not those with little such as tenderloin or even regular loin. Are you doing the butchering yourself?

I'd make Cuban Roast Pork with the fresh ham. You can make a large portion and freeze it after you've cut it. Some chunked to eat with rice and black beans and some sliced for Cuban Sandwiches. I have 2 fantastic whole tenderloin recipes, plus two other favorites: CI's bacon wrapped tenderloin medallions and C&H's Pork Cutlets Diane.

A lot of stir fry recipes call for sliced tenderloin, but I don't want to waste a tenderloin on that. Instead I collect pieces of other cuts as I trim them. Shoulder, extra pieces in chops that are between fat, pieces left if tenderloin needs to be trimmed for medallions etc. I foodsaver them and then use them when I have 1 lb.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:20 am 

Thanks Alina. No, I am not butchering it myself. Please share your recipe for Cuban sandwiches. I'm sure it is much better than the various ones I see in my cookbooks.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:52 am 

Yes, Aline, please! I was having some of your black beans just this week. Keep the vac-packed in the freezer and 'boil in a bag' as a quick and lovely addition to a meal. This time I threw in some sliced green onions, a little vinegar and some parsley, but often just as is with rice and some kind of protein and other veg.

Anyway, back to the pork!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:27 pm 

To make good Cuban sandwiches you need Cuban bread, Cuban pork roast, good sweet ham, Swiss cheese, pickle, mustard and butter. You can sub other breads, but they won't taste the same or have the same consistency. Absolutely no mayo, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro or anything else. So here are the recipes you need. Please ask if anything is confusing as these recipes (except the bread) I just do, so I recreated them as best I could.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CUBAN BREAD Yield: 2 Loaves

DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN
Bread is done when internal temp is about 200°F and it makes a hollow sound when tapped.

Oven Temperature: 400°F

1 Package Yeast (¼ Ounce)
2 cups Lukewarm water
1¼ TBS. salt
1 TBS. sugar
6 to 7 cups Sifted all-purpose flour
Water for brushing tops
2 TBS. Cornmeal for cookie sheet

Dissolve the yeast in the water and add the salt, and sugar, stirring thoroughly.

Add the flour, one cup at a time, beating it in with a wooden spoon, or use the dough hook on an electric mixer at low speed (KA start on 2, work up to 3). Add enough flour to make fairly stiff dough. (After sifting 6 cups should be plenty, machine kneading time about 7-9 minutes, know dough is ready when leaves sides of bowl.)

When the dough is thoroughly mixed, shape it into a ball, place in a greased bowl (I use olive oil) and grease the top. Cover with a dry clean towel, (A plastic 4 qt. Container works well, flatten dough measure amount form bottom to where it starts and mark with erasable marker or tape, then measure same amount and mark or tape again for doubling guide.) and let stand in a warm place (80° to 85°F) until doubled in bulk. (About 30 minutes if put in microwave in which 2 cups of water have been boiled for 6 minutes, leave cup in corner of microwave, turned off)

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and shape with lightly floured hand into two long French-style loaves or round Italian-style loaves. Arrange on a baking sheet heavily sprinkled with cornmeal and allow rising five minutes.

Slash the tops of the loaves in two or three places with a knife or scissors. Brush the loaves with water (I just use clean wet hands and pat the dough) and place them in a cold oven. Set the oven control at hot (400°F) and place a pan of boiling water on the bottom of the oven. Bake the loaves until they are crusty and done, about 40 to 45 minutes. (Can tell bread is done when internal temp is about 200°F and it makes a hollow sound when tapped)

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Inactive Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 1 hour and 35 minutes

Recipe Type: Bread, Cuban Food

Author: Me
Source: adapted from James Beard in The New York Times Cookbook

CUBAN PORK ROAST Servings: 12

For 4 servings Cuban Sandwiches you will need to reserve 1 lb. of the pork in thin slices rather, than the chunks described below.
I marinate it in the foil and close it really well to avoid odor transfer in the fridge. I then take it out of the refrigerator and put it in the oven. It also makes the roaster cleanup much easier. After is is cooked, I take it out, let it rest and then cut it into bite sized chunks (it will shred some and that is ok) and put it back in the roaster this time with new foil just covering the pan, not the meat, for easier cleanup. I put it under the broiler to crisp it up some and rewarm it. I save most of the liquid from the pan and just put a little of it back in the roaster when I put it under the broiler. I reheat the rest in the microwave and serve it in a gravy boat. along with the mojito of course (the sauce, not the drink).

8-10 lbs. front half of a fresh leg of pork preferably boneless
1 cup sour orange juice or use a combo of oj and dry sherry and a bit of lime juice
1 huge onion
8 cloves of garlic smashed well with some salt
kosher salt
1 TBS. dried oregano (ground if I have it, if not crushed dried leaves
1 TBS. ground cumin

Have the butcher bone the front half of a fresh leg of pork or do it yourself. Save the skin and some of the extra fat for homemade cracklings.

The key to a tasty and juice roasted pork is to marinate it in sour orange juice. If you can't get real sour orange juice (which I buy from cubanfoodmarket.com) I use regular oj and dry sherry and a bit of lime juice

Slice at least one huge onion, 2 if they are just large. Smash at least 8 garlic cloves with some kosher salt, Make holes all over the roast with a knife and Insert the garlic in the holes, top, bottom, side and end (and if boned, I unroll it and do in on the inside as well). I put it both in the fatty parts and the meat. The roast looks like it was hit by an apprentice knife thrower when I am done. Then sprinkle it all over with more kosher salt, dried oregano (ground if I have it, if not crushed dried leaves) and some ground cumin.

Use a at least two layers of foil in the roasting pan, one going the long way and another over that going the short way, enough to cover the roast completely so the fridge does not end up smelling. The roast then goes in the roasting pan, with some of the sour orange on the bottom to cover and a layer of the sliced onions. The roast goes on top with more sliced onions spread all around it and more of the sour orange juice poured over the top.

Let the marinated roast sits in the fridge for at least one whole day, 3 is better.

Take the roast out of the refrigerator at least one hour prior to roasting. Preheat oven to 350°.

Place roasting pan in preheated oven and roast 30 to 35 minutes per pound at 350 °. Be careful when you open up the foil, as it will be very hot and steam will come out. Start with that amount of time and check by sticking a fork in it. I like mine really tender since I am going to chunk it not slice it. So when you can almost pull it apart with a fork it is done.

After it is cooked, take out the roast and let it rest on a cutting board for 20 minutes. Then cut it into bite sized chunks. Save the liquid and onions from the pan. Throw away the oil foil and cover the bottom of the roasting pan with a layer of heavy duty foil. Put the pork chunks back in the pan and put a little of the reserved liquid back in the roasting pan with the chunks of pork. Put it under the broiler to crisp it up some and rewarm it.

Reheat the rest of the reserved liquid and onions in the microwave and serve it in a gravy boat. along with the mojito of course (the sauce, not the drink).

Preparation Time: 1 hour Cooking Time: 5 hours and 50 minutes Inactive Time: 72 hours Total Time: 78 hours and 50 minutes

Recipe Type: Cuban Food, Grandma Hilia, Main Dish, Meat, Pork

Author: MINE

CUBAN SANDWICH 4 servvings

1 lb. sliced Cuban Pork Roast
1 lb. good sweet ham (not shaved or pressed or strong like Serrano)
¾ lb. swiss cheese (the real stuff not processed)
2 large dill pickles sliced thinly
yellow mustard (not Dijon or stone ground or other fancy)
1 TBS. butter (optional)

Cut the ends of the Cuban bread and cut each loaf in half. You will need th flat plates on a griddler or a griddle or large pan with a heavy flat skillet to put on top create a "plancha". You want a flattened sandwich ala grilled cheese but much thicker of course.

Take the bread portions and slice horizontally almost all the way. Open up the halves and spread thinly with yellow mustard . If you really dislike mustard, then just butter, or you can use butter on one side and mustard on the other (in that case the mustard goes next to the ham).

To build you sandwich divide the ham slices into four portions. Place the ham slices on the bottom part of the bread, overlapping the slices making sure the entire bread is covered. Divide the swiss cheese slices into four portions and place on top of the ham overlapping the same way. Pickles come next, done the same way and finally the pork done the same way as the ham. Place the other half of the bread on top of the pork.

You sandwich should be very thick, with each layer clearly delineated. Yes that is a lot of meat, but that is how we roll :D

At this point if you are not going to eat all of it, you can freeze the sandwich for later use. Wrap each half tightly in aluminum foil and then food saver or put in a airtight Ziploc. When ready to eat, take out, let it thaw in refrigerator at least partially and proceed as below.

If you wish you can brush the bread with melted butter (my family never did, they put butter on one side and mustard on the other inside). Now place your sandwich on the preheat flat side of the griddler and bring the top down and press. Keep pressing until the top of the bread is toasted and the cheese has started to melt. The idea is that you have toasted the bread and flattened the sandwich enough you can fit in your mouth for a bite.

Now, to be truly a Cuban sandwich you need to cut each half from corner to corner to make two triangles.

To reheat if you can't eat it all, refrigerate it and then place on a tray in a toaster oven and reheat until warm. It will be almost as good.

Author: Mine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 am 

Alina
All I can say is "Wow" Thanks for the recipe. It sounds really good.
kathy

Last edited by Kathy Henry on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:16 am 

You are most welcome. Please let me know how you like it you try it. Especially if there are changes I need to make to the directions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm 

Kathy, whenever pork shoulders are purchased by my parents for sausage making they have some sliced into cutlets for basically schnitzel (flour dredge, egg/milk dip, breadcrumps, fry). We now prefer this to chicken or veal done the same way. They cook really really fast.
I like to cube pork loin and marinate in olive oil, garlic, oregano and lemon juice for souvlaki. I just bought a penzeys blend to try for this, will report back after our long weekend on its flavour.