Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:28 pm 

Does anyone use it? If so, which brand do you recommend?

Post subject: Re: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 pm 

I have 2 kinds one is Nature's Way EFA Organic Coconut Oil-extra Virgin, get it on subscription from Amazon, the cheapest I've found. It was great on my OVERNIGHT OAT COCONUT MACAROONS. If you get some, let me know if you'd like the recipe. I've also used instead of butter on different cookies with good results. I also have a jar of refined Organic Spectrum that we use when we don't want the coconut flavor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
I have 2 kinds one is Nature's Way EFA Organic Coconut Oil-extra Virgin, get it on subscription from Amazon, the cheapest I've found. It was great on my OVERNIGHT OAT COCONUT MACAROONS. If you get some, let me know if you'd like the recipe. I've also used instead of butter on different cookies with good results. I also have a jar of refined Organic Spectrum that we use when we don't want the coconut flavor.

Thanks, Alina. So, if I'm looking for more of a coconut flavor, I should get Nature's Way vs. the Spectrum?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 pm 

The difference is between refined and virgin. The virgin stuff still has the strong coconut flavor (more or less depending on the brand, we've had several and prefer this one.

If I understand it correctly it is the refining process that takes away the coconut flavor. So the Spectrum is still organic, but is refined. I like Spectrum products, so I've not tried other brands of the refined stuff.

PS, can't make the link open in a separate window or tab!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:08 pm 

The absolute cheapest I have found, and organic and extra virgin at that, is a 54 oz jar by Vitacost, for just $20.99. Great flavor, and They have free shipping for over $25 - not much of a jump up from there, and they have a bunch of other good deals. They list their sale items by popularity, and, as you can see, the coconut oil is first in line, so you know a lot like this.

I got some refined and EV from one place years ago, and discovered that the refined turned rancid fairly quickly, while the EV never turned on me at room temp., then or since. So if you get refined, refrigerate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

viewtopic.php?p=3461#p3461

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
The absolute cheapest I have found, and organic and extra virgin at that, is a 54 oz jar by Vitacost, for just $20.99. Great flavor, and They have free shipping for over $25 - not much of a jump up from there, and they have a bunch of other good deals. They list their sale items by popularity, and, as you can see, the coconut oil is first in line, so you know a lot like this.

I got some refined and EV from one place years ago, and discovered that the refined turned rancid fairly quickly, while the EV never turned on me at room temp., then or since. So if you get refined, refrigerate.

Thanks, Dave, I order from Vitacost all the time, so I'll have to check it out. Does it have a strong coconut flavor or mild?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm 

I too order from Vitacost all the time and they do have great deals. However, after checking out the reviews, etc. and my own experience, I am sticking with the one I posted. The 54 oz. would be a good deal, but it is way more than I'd want at one time and the 16 oz. size is more expensive.

BTW, if you do order from Vitacost, don't forget to go through Ebates, you'll save even more via the rebate. I need to reorder my vitamins now, so will be checking the food items as well (hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut flour and Bob's Red Mill Products, usually cheaper than what I get locally.).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:

Thanks Josh, I was hoping to do it via the code. I personally hate leaving and then having to come back to continue reading posts. Probably just me.