Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: People who salt their food.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 am 

We had a cookout yesterday at my brothers house and his wife made some little kabobs with Grape tomatos, cucumber slices and feta cheese. I was sitting next to my sisters husband and I couldn't believe how much salt he uses. For one cucumber slice, he shook the shaker three times onto just the slice. I think my mouth puckered as I watched him eat. No wonder he's on Blood Pressure medicine.

Post subject: Re: People who salt their food.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:29 pm 

The converse is the restaurant that not only does not provide salt or pepper for their customers, but will not. I remember one such establishment that suggested I bring my own when I asked for some. I suspect the sun will become a red giant (approximately 5 billion years) before I cross their threshold again.

I realize that some chef's and restauranteurs believe that what they serve is perfection, but ... seriously ... refuse a salt shaker?

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:13 pm 

I put salt on buttered toast. I love salty food. When we were kids we used put a little hill of salt on our plates and dip celery, radishes, etc into it. You can have all the desserts you want, I'll take the chips, cheetos, pretzels, etc.
fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 pm 

i used to use this as one of my gages for hiring. If someone put salt on their food without tasting, I did not want them. I needed open-minded folks. I prefer salty to sweet, but don't generally put salt and pepper at the table. Happy to bring it out if a guest asks after tasting the food. I think most folk don't salt each layer as they cook, and often don't add any other herbs or spices. Hence the need to over salt. Then it becomes a habit. My mom used minimal salt and no pepper and her food was always praised. She did use cumin, paprika, oregano, bijol, and lot of garlic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Tatoosh wrote:
The converse is the restaurant that not only does not provide salt or pepper for their customers, but will not. I remember one such establishment that suggested I bring my own when I asked for some. I suspect the sun will become a red giant (approximately 5 billion years) before I cross their threshold again.

Of course, I've known just the kind of OCD gourmet who would bring their own little wooden box of fleur de sel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 am 

I brought my brother and sister-in-law some fleur de sel from France as a gift. I had a small, difficult moment when I saw herself flinging it into the pasta water.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm 

My Executive Chef in culinary school owned a very high-end fine dining restaurant and did not believe in putting salt and pepper on the table. Of course I'm sure he allowed it to be brought if requested. We do put it on the tables, but I think we go through about one box of table salt a year, if that. Great restaurants get the seasoning right before the dish goes to the table.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 am 

I have a problem with folks who salt before tasting. However, I suspect that many folks are desensitized to salt because of the high levels of processed food they eat. I am quite sensitive to salt - recently I ran out of unsalted butter and had to use salted butter (for half of the total butter) in a strawberry buttercream icing. I found the salt taste overwhelming but no one else could taste it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am 

I know quite a few people who either don't use salt at all in their cooking, or very very little. If you are brought up in one of those households, you may well get used to salting everything immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:12 pm 

marygott wrote:
I brought my brother and sister-in-law some fleur de sel from France as a gift. I had a small, difficult moment when I saw herself flinging it into the pasta water.

Mary

Thought of this comment the other day when I went to grab my expensive grey salt from the cupboard to find it mostly gone. Asked hubby if he'd been using it. Why yes....to rim margarita glasses! oy.