Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mushroom Popcorn
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm 

Nice popcorn but the kettle corn's sort of like crack, isn't it?

Over the weekend we briefly contemplated PMing you to overnight 10 pounds; money was no object...

I'm using a Tramontina clad-bottom pot with a clear glass lid. Full heat works but it needs to be dumped promptly when it's done or the bottom layer scorches just a bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:20 pm 

I have been using my pan that I call a Chicken Fryer. It is about 12" across and about 3" tall with a lid. It has a very heavy bottom and works pretty well for Kettle Corn. I made some for my mom the other night and I did have about 50 unpopped kernels and some sugar left over which was unusual for me since I have been using this pan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:12 am 

My sister bought me a jar of this and I just tried it. It makes caramal corn and you use it instead of White sugar when you make your Kettle Corn and it worked pretty well. The ingredients are Sugar, Brown Sugar and Molasses. At $4.00 for a 13 oz. jar, I think I will experiment a little on my own.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm 

So you add the sugar at the beginning? (Sorry if you explained earlier but too tired to go back through the thread).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 am 

I'll have you know this thread got me seriously jonesing for caramel corn. Unlike Todd who is patient enough to experiment, I bought some "Crunch 'n Munch" because it was the best I could do at the market.

Todd, when all is said and done, please post the nirvana of recipes.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:19 am 

Darcie wrote:
So you add the sugar at the beginning? (Sorry if you explained earlier but too tired to go back through the thread).

Let your oil get hot by testing 3 kernels. When they pop, add your popcorn and then the sugar and start shaking your pan and don't stop until the popping slows down and you dump the popcorn into a large bowl. This is hot stuff, so don't try to eat some right away. Don't forget to salt it right away also.

I tried to show a friend of mine how to make this the other night at her house. She has an electric stove and the large burner in the front doesn't work. I tried to use the little burner, but it didn't work and the popcorn burned. This can be tricky to get it to work correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 am 

We had a local fair on the weekend and there were several Kettle corn booths. I tried to buy the kernels from a couple but no joy. I can get this elsewhere but thought I'd check to see and if the price was better as Kernels can be spendy. They were surprised that I knew it was mushroom popcorn. :D

I tried to add sugar to my westbend stir crazy popcorn maker (as per an amazon reviewer) and it was a dismal failure. I still have the sugar residue around the cover.

Last edited by jeanf on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 am 

This is the most awesome recipe for caramel corn. My sister and I do use the Natural Orville Reddinbaucher microwave mix, because it doesn't give off any of that horrible chemical smell and the salt is perfect in the popcorn. I would imagine that it would be even better with properly seasoned mushroom popcorn.

Seriously try this. The baking/baking soda makes it not sticky at all. Soooo good. I think it is actually toffee/caramel/biscuit good. :)

http://houseonhillsboro.blogspot.com/20 ... anuts.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 pm 

That is very similar to the one I have made for years. Add some chillied pecans to it for a kick.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:47 pm 

Todd's ultra-secret recipe for kettle corn (off the top of my head):

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup popcorn
salt to taste

Heat the oil and 3 kernels of corn in a heavy pot with lid. When the 3 kernels have popped add the rest of the popcorn and the sugar. Shake shake shake until the popping slows and almost stops. Dump immediately into a large bowl and salt to taste. Warning: When the corn comes out the sugar coating is molten and BURNS (ask me how I know) if you try to stir in the salt with your hands.

My grandmother used to make popcorn balls every Christmas so I'm on the lookout for a good popcorn ball recipe...

talanhart wrote:
I tried to show a friend of mine how to make this the other night at her house. She has an electric stove and the large burner in the front doesn't work. I tried to use the little burner, but it didn't work and the popcorn burned. This can be tricky to get it to work correctly.
I use high heat and a heavy bottom pot. As long as I dump it quickly there hasn't been any burning. I think you have to make sure that the corn can pop before the sugar burns.

Also, our daily cooking oil is pure (non-EVOO) olive oil and it works for this recipe although it's right at the smoke point when the corn goes in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next