Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Smoked Olive Oil
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Tim wrote:
Steve,

It says the natural smoking process is unique; that just might mean a drop of liquid smoke!

I smoked olive oil a few years ago. It wasn't nirvana but what is?

Tim

A mouth full of marbles?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 pm 

My husband created the SONOMA Smoked Olive Oil, it's not made with liquid smoke. It's naturally wood-smoked EVOO. The process is very unique with a patent pending. It allows us to naturally smoke our CALIFORNIA oils without exposure to heat, air or light - thus preserving the quality & integrity of our gold medal oils. The awards, major Chef endorsements & magazine write-ups sum it up better than I can. Chef Tyler Florence from THE FOOD NETWORK calls it "genius". Many endorsements have yet to be posted on our site like Chef Ming Tsai or Chef Hugh Acheson or HEALTH magazine, who calls it "the new pantry essential". Sorry to sound like an informercial, but we're a proud mom & pop company; http://www.thesmokedolive.com ..... and I love the stuff!!

Last edited by Sonoma on Wed May 30, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 pm 

Sonoma,
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to try it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 am 

Sonoma, no reason to apologize providing a great product! My comment was mostly humorous, though the technology for capturing wood smoke in a liquid could be applied to an oil, I suppose. I am NOT saying you are doing this. And I am very glad to hear you are proud of your product and happy to rise to its defense. Whatever technology you are using to provide the smoky note to your olive oil, I'm all for it. I'm not where I can try it now, but when the opportunity avails itself, I promise I will happily give your product a try. I am all for folks that are dedicated to not just making money, but doing by providing excellence in the process. My hat is off to you.

And speaking of smoking the unusual, I will try smoking raw eggs, something they are doing down in New Zealand. Apparently cold smoking eggs for a fairly long time provides an interesting flavor note when you get around to using them. My next cold smoke bacon session will see a half dozen raw eggs in their shell added to the smoker.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 am 

Steve,
I have been buying cold smoked garlic here in the winter for the past couple years and it is fantastic. You might want to put that on your list!

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:03 pm 

Now that you mention it, when I smoked a pork belly for a brother-in-law's one day visit, I put four heads of garlic on the smoker. Since it was spur of the moment, I didn't quite get it right, I did it like we roast garlic in the oven. Left in their covers with the tops cut off. Smoked in hickory for two or three hours. Came out pretty nice, but next time I will simply remove their papery covering, put in a pan and let them go. We are making a smoked garlic paste out of the ones we did the other night. My wife loves the paste for cooking, since it is roasted (or in this case roasted and smoked) it can be added later in the game without worry and incorporates easily.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:42 pm 

I hope you all appreciate my restraint in not mentioning the difficulty of getting olive oil to stay in those little papers! It just runs right out and won't roll worth s***! If it makes you happy........

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:58 pm 

Don't get the vapors,
Just soak the papers,
doobie doobie doo~

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

That would be one reason for hookahs . . . :o ;)