Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pork Shoulder Butt Steaks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:09 am 

I make a cuban black bean recipe I got from Alina on TOBB which is pretty quick, though it requires a pressure cooker. I've made it quite a few times, and had it with carnitas. Excellent, IMO.
I've also had them on Tacos.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am 

Tim,

We have a couple of outstanding latin restaurants here, and one of them serves all of their dishes with the most amazing corn casserole. (Their salad is also deceptively simple, and delicious.) I've come pretty dang close to cloning the recipe...let me know if you'd like it.

Also, my black beans only take a few hours, but I use a pressure cooker.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 am 

From Alina on TOBB. I cook the onion, pepper and garlic (put in late) in, I think, the more traditional soffritto style. Also, you can cook longer to avoid the overnight soak (can't remember how long off hand...)
Quote:
BLACK BEANS MAMI'S Servings: 8
1 lb dry black beans
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut in quarters
1 tsp dried oregano
salt to taste
1. Wash beans well and remove any bad beans and debris. Place beans in glass bowl and cover with water and soak overnight.
2. Wash and seed bell pepper and cut in quarters. (You can chop it you prefer, we like to have the flavor but don't eat it). Dice onion and peel and mash garlic with a bit of salt.
3. Place the beans with the water in which they soaked in 6 Qt pressure cooker. Add extra water if needed to have 1" over beans. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Cool cooker quickly and check consistency of beans. If not tender enough close cooker and do another 10 minutes and check again. If there is too much liquid, leave cover off and boil to reduce some of the liquid. There should be some liquid, but it should not be thin and soupy.
4. Some folks like to add a TBS. of sherry vinegar before serving, we don't. Beans can be successfully frozen for a long time.
5. Some folks prefer to make a sofrito in the pressure cooker first, with the olive oil, onion, garlic. pepper and oregano before adding the beans and the bay leaf. I've done it both ways and usually do it the lazy way.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Inactive Time: 12 hours
Total Time: 12 hours and 45 minutes

Recipe Type: Beans, Cuban Food, Side Dish

Source: Author: Grandma Hilia

From my Living Cookbook, Cuban Recipes.

Last edited by Paul Kierstead on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 am 

Amy wrote:

...let me know if you'd like it.

I'd like it....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am 

There are no quantities here, but you guys can figure that out for yourselves. The final consistency shouldn't be too liquid...this is toothy with just enough creamy finish to make it sinful.

This is from a post of mine from somewhere...don't remember...just kept a copy so I could make again.

"I made this last night, winging it based upon the texture I was trying to achieve, and while it's not exactly what the restaurant achieves, I came fairly close. I used Olathe sweet corn (any Coloradans will know how good that is). I wizzed about half of it in my VitaMix with some butter and eggs, approximating a "cream corn." I then mixed that with the rest of the corn, sour cream, jalepenos, corn meal, queso fresco and S&P. Baked the thing for about an hour, and it was really good."

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 am 

Tim, Carnita's were outstanding. I also served with rice that was cooked with onions, peppers hot and sweet, tomato, and chicken stock. I am using the left overs to make a white bean chili today.

I was also going to sugest Alina's Cuban Black bean recipe.