Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where are you? No one is cooking?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:50 pm 

To hot to cook much here, too. Tomatoes aren't doing very well but are plentiful at the markets. We're liviing on grilled bacon/tomato/cheese sandwiches. If I had to choose one food for the rest of my live, that would probably be it
Fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:13 pm 

Mostly salads and eating out here, too. Even regularly Sunday evening dinner with friends has turned into wine and apps until it cools down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:25 pm 

And congratulations, Paul, and best wishes!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:06 am 

The cooking here hasn't been too exciting, but it's fun watching the baby "eat". He started out playing with the food, then tasting, now chewing, but swallowing doesn't seem to be a step he's ready to take yet. I've made him some graham crackers (Thanks, Alton) which he seems to enjoy. He also gets a kick out of steak salad with blue cheese, any kind of spaghetti (salerno, puttanesca, whatever), avocados, and pierogi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:30 pm 

last night did a classic summer meal-grilled steaks, fresh corn, salad with cukes and carrots. A bit of bulgar pilaf. Had Mom and Burt over to eat it up, and dined on the screen porch. Just a nice meal.
Made a batch of pork-leek-mushroom gyoza, then realized I still had a bag in the freezer.
Next up-cheese sauce mix from Burros' Keep it Simple. Made in big batches and frozen it's always available for mac&cheese of to go over vegetables.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm 

It really has been too hot to eat! Or at least cook, with too much heat.

I have made many things with tomatoes, and soon with hot peppers, as they are ripening big time! And today I made a bacon/chipotle guacamole, and a tostada (Almost Oaxacan, or something like that!) from Rick Bayless' new book: Fiesta at Rick's. The tostada consisted of a tortilla, which was oiled some, then grilled until crisp, and topped with chorizo (I had just made some), a raw tomatillo (I have a bunch in the garden) salsa with an avocado (I had extras I had to use) blended into it, and queso fresco. Both of these were delicious, but the tostada was definitely a keeper.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:54 pm 

Yesterday, made mozzarella, and then used in caprese salad; this is definitely the taste of summer, with fresh ripe tomatoes.

Tonight was poached whole salmon with beurre blanc (with sometaragon from the garden) braised green beans and boiled new potatoes. In all the fuss about spring and summer it is easy to forget the potato, but these were truly wonderful, so very very creamy and delicious; really the best part of the meal. Just S&P, butter and a little chives and tarragon and some a little very finely minced shallot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:54 pm 

Oh and crepes with butter and sugar for dessert :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:19 am 

Paul, crepes with butter & sugar was my kids favorite dessert when they were young. Also sprinkled with lemon juice.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 am 

Made lemon ice yesterday. I had to do the stir-it-every-30-minutes thing since the churn died, but it was still very good. Not as good as the Tons of my Favorite Things on Top of a Crispy Tortilla Tostada sounds, but still very good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next