Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where are you? No one is cooking?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 am 

Ilene
I was thinking of hunting in the freezer for some yesterday, but I didn't have any dill on hand. I had planted some, but it died very quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:46 pm 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
Laurie - Welcome back! Wondered where you'd been.

Sherida, been busy at work. This is RV season you know. Things slow down in the fall. We just booked a cruise for our January vacation...can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 am 

Had all of the nieces and nephews in for a visit. Loads of fun, and we made cookies, but that's about it.
Also went up to the WI state fair. It was too hot, and so a very light year, food wise. Not a single deep fried treat was eaten and we didn't really miss them. But the llamas and the alpaca are very cute.
The guy I used to buy bison by the side from even remembered my name when we stopped by the Bison Producers exhibit. Alas, my co-buyers moved to Maryland and I can't afford the whole side by myself. Anyone in the Chicago area want to share 1/2 a bison? Very tasty, about 3 bucks a pound processed. Plenty of cuts available.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:27 am 
Site Admin

Becky,

Huh. I was just in Madison, and made a point of eating deep-fried cheese curds.

Apparently last year the WI State Fair had a Krispy Creme-bun cheeseburger, with chocolate-covered bacon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 am 

Usually the fried curds are a staple Fair food, but this year it was just too hot. The doughnut burger was there, but we didn't even walk past-it wasn't on our route through the barns. Mom will be 77 this year and needs more stops to rest even when it isn't blistering outside. We were both surprised at how little we felt like eating. I hope next year is much cooler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Becky,

Huh. I was just in Madison, and made a point of eating deep-fried cheese curds.

Apparently last year the WI State Fair had a Krispy Creme-bun cheeseburger, with chocolate-covered bacon.

Last year's MN state fair had chocolate covered bacon. Yep, I had some. It was OK, but oddly disappointing.

Also had deep fried Snickers (molten lava but tasty), key lime pie on a stick (threw it away it was so awful), fried pickle (yum), fried curds (ho hum), a decent gyro (?), but my favorite deep fried fair food is still Pronto Pup corn dogs. If we go this year, I'm only having the corn dog.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 am 

When I was growing up, my granddad and dad worked security at our county fair. It's a pretty big fair, actually -- larger than our state fair and one of the biggest in the country. We would spend the entire weekend on the fairgrounds. The best meal was always the early morning breakfast down at the industrial building. I think the KofC might have sponsored it. Just great farm-fresh eggs and hash-browns. It was probably the healthiest thing we ate the whole time since the rest of the day consisted of cotton candy and boardwalk fries. I'm not so into the sugar-that-looks-like-insulation any more, but I still love good boardwalk fries with malt vinegar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:18 am 

Hello All,
I know this is an older post, but I must get on here and send out a big THANK YOU to Wino!!!
I don't know much about wine, but I like to try new ones and try to keep a list of ones that I like. I was reading this post earlier and finally went a grabbed two bottles of a dry Rose and chilled and served it last night with some apps with friends, and ouila............lovely.
My friends and I easily consumed the two bottles I brought and were in yearning for more.
I just loved it.........thank you, again wino.
Maybe now that you are steroid man with lots of energy, it might be a good time to post some of those interesting wine and food pairings....(when feeling better, of course)......
I very much appreciate these lessons.............Karen